ADVERTISEMENT

Football Vanderbilt scrimmage report #2

Joey Dwyer

Commodore
Gold Member
Oct 3, 2022
Offense (Joey):

-Rough day for the Vanderbilt offense. Not much of a downfield attack, lot of close calls on interceptions, some penalties. Not a lot of time for the quarterbacks to throw. Some bad decision making out of them. Some drops.

-Diego Pavia wasn't as good as he was last week. He seemed to use his legs more which was a positive but just wasn't consistent as a passer and didn't really throw it down the field. He looks to have command of the huddle and such, but I wasn't encouraged. Just not enough substantial gains with him out there. I do think he's still the number one QB. He did do a fine job moving the pocket.

-Nate Johnson completed a long pass early but from there had a really difficult time. Made some throws that probably should've been intercepted. Didn't leave encouraged with his arm. Didn't see him use his legs much early either. One stood out when he could've had Kam Johnson for a touchdown but underthrew him which ended the drive. He was the leading passer through about a half with 19 passing yards, though. That all came on one throw.

-Drew Dickey was the best quarterback of them all. He showed some real command of the offense and in Chris' words "everyone else is making the forward pass look like the moon landing and he's just carving them up." He didn't do much early but took a drive late and just blew us away. Found Loic Fouonji over and over again while mixing Cole Spence in there. Threw a touchdown to Eli Stowers which was the first one of the day. He's inching closer to Johsnon.

-Blaze Berlowitz was good with his legs but didn't do much through the air. St Hilare struggled with ball security and Whit Muschamp seemed to miss a lot of throws but also hit some downfield.

-AJ Newberry had the day's first 20-yard play and probably the best day out of the backs. Chase Gillespie was fine, he's been better in scrimmages than in practice where I haven't seen him much. Sedrick Alexander didn't do a whole lot but caught a ball for 17 yards that was the standout play from him. Still think their QBs could be more successful running than their backs.

-Thought their tight ends were ok. Cole Spence was quieter but he made two catches for a little under 30 yards on the Dickey drive. Kameran Johnson had one of his better days. Eli Stowers just keeps quietly getting better and producing more.

-Receivers were super quiet, especially Skinner, Sherrill. Think they combined for around 20 yards and two catches. Loic Fouonji had a better day than most but he caught most of his balls on that Dickey drive. Caught like four in a row or something. Nothing out of the freshmen today. Dariyan Wiley and Jeremiah Dillon didn't go.

-Jake Balis and Dominic Rezac stood out late!

Defense (Billy):
  • The defense won the day
  • Randon Fontenette was everywhere, but the sky is also blue.
  • Jaylin Lackey keeps making plays.
  • The defensive line got a ton of pressure today.
  • Diakite did not see action, but was in pads, so I would guess he’s fine.
  • Glenn Seabrooks saw a lot of snaps. He could play more than anticipated this season and might’ve already passed Devin Lee on the depth chart.
  • Martel Hight should’ve had an interception but dropped it. That same thing also happened a few times in last week’s scrimmage.
  • Dontae Carter was more active than last week.
  • The defense wore out toward the end.
  • Will Faris hit a 47-yard FG. Special teams coordinator Jeff LePak said there’s a battle between Faris and Taylor. I still think it’s Taylor’s to lose, but we’ll see. Taylor hit a 28-yard FG, but also had a 56-yarder blocked by Yilanan
  • Brail Lipford, a walk-on transfer from Rocky Mountain College, had the play of the day on a diving one-handed interception of Jeremy St. Hilaire.
  • I’ll add more after we talk with coaches/players

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.