ADVERTISEMENT

Where I stand with the offensive fall camp elephants in the room

Joey Dwyer

Commodore
Gold Member
Oct 3, 2022
-On the quarterback battle; I'd still give Pavia the edge. I think Johnson or Dickey would probably have to visibly outplay him the rest of the way, although there hasn't seemed to be a ton of consistent separation. Think he's a guy that you don't fully know what they've got in until the lights come on. I don't fully buy the "he had a good game against Auburn so he's gonna be good in the SEC" narrative because of his power five games the year before and arm strength, but I do think there's something to be said for an old guy who knows the system and is a proven commodity at this level.

-Their talent at running back is fine, just don't know if they'll be able to open enough lanes. I'll believe they can against SEC teams when I see it.

-Wide receivers, man. That's been a disappointing room thus far. Quincy Skinner has been about as good as I thought, he's made some plays. Junior Sherrill looks a bit better than last year. Not sure if either can shoulder the load. Think there's a chance Cole Spence leads them in receiving. Loic Fouonji can go up and get it but hasn't created separation, not many guys consistently have. Tristen Brown has been good. Not much out of the other transfer receivers. Hoskins may be a good fit for the offense if they're looking at a lot of short/intermediate.

-Tight end is their best position group on offense. May be their best on the roster.

-Offensive line looks better to me. Hard to take a step back from where it was last year. I like Chase Mitchell and Misael Sandoval at tackle, although Sandoval will take his lumps. Not sure which side each will end up on. They have talent there, my concern is still that the defensive lines in the league have a lot more. Maybe Beck can scheme around that.

-Thought it was interesting that Ghaali Muhammed-Langford mentioned that running backs will be asked to run block. Could give you a look at what they may do formationally. I expect that there may be some multiple-back sets as well as a lot of multiple tight end sets, that would be a good use of their personnel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.