ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday's practice report

Chris Lee

Publisher
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
Vanderbilt held a closed practice on Saturday morning; both teams sported the black, flat “Anchor Down” helmets with one team wearing all black and the other, white tops and black pants.

TEAM NOTES
There were several high school prospects in attendance in what was basically a Junior Day. I was focused on practice and not that, but did spot Alontae Taylor.

VU will practice Monday, Wednesday and Friday next week; the first two are open to the public. Times haven’t been set for certain though the open practices are likely morning sessions.

There weren’t a lot of huge take-aways on the day, but, I did think that overall, execution and intensity were good, especially the first, at this point of the spring.

One handicap that I’m not sure we’ve pointed out—with all the offensive linemen sporting red jerseys, the team has just eight completely healthy offensive linemen right now.

PLAYER NOTES
They seem to really like Khari Blasingame at RB. I’m told he will probably stick there, maybe even play some tailback. Offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig confirmed this later.

LB Nehemiah Mitchell made a great stop in drills early and drew loud praise from the coaches.

WR Darrius Sims continues to work out with the wide receivers. It looks like that’s where he’ll stick there.

As Justin reported yesterday, they like Oren Burks at the STAR position; he played safety the first two years and was a linebacker in high school. This is a good role for him since it’s a hybrid of the two positions.

RB Josh Crawford showed a little speed and quickness, bouncing a run outside in 11-on-11s and beating the defense to the edge for what would probably been 10-20 yard gain in normal conditions.

QBs Sean Stankavage and Kyle Shurmur both looked better than when I last saw them on Monday. Stankavage showed some good touch on intermediate and longer throws and Shurmur was not overthrowing his targets, something that had plagued him earlier in the week.

One of Shurmur’s better throws came when he hit TE Jared Pinkney perfectly along the right sideline for 20 yards or so; he had a very tight window in which to make the throw and it was perfect. He also made a nice back-shoulder throw about 20 yards down the field for a completion to WR Ronald Monroe.

Overall, it was probably the best for that group of the three days we've seen. If there were any interceptions, I don't remember them.

RB Dallas Rivers made a nice move, busting through a hole on the left side and going for about 15-20.

RB Jaire George did the same thing to the right side a few minutes later; that run came against reserves and I think Rivers’s did also.

CB Torren McGaster made a nice hit to break up a Shurmur throw.

PLAYERS NOT PARTICIPATING
OLB Landon Stokes was in a red jersey and sweats.

TE DeAndre Woods was in shorts and a red jersey.

TE Kyle Anderton remains on crutches, but was able to ride a stationary bike.

WR Caleb Scott is in a red jersey and running around more than the others, but still not in pads and participating that way.

S Arnold Tarpley was in a red jersey and still donning the sling around his left arm.

PLAYERS IN PADS BUT WEARING RED JERSEYS AND PARTICIPATING ON A LIMITED BASIS
OT Justin Skule

OT Andrew Jelks

OT Will Holden

DE Adam Butler

SN Wilson Johnson

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.