ADVERTISEMENT

Football Wednesday's coaching search notes

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
Not much new today and so I'm not presenting it as much, so consider this a courtesy update that recaps what I think with some new stuff at the end.

. I would still handicap Jamey Chadwell, Will Healy and Clark Lea as the top three (my opinion, and purposely listed in alphabetical order so that nobody reads into any order of which they are listed).

To repeat from yesterday, Lance Leipold and Mike McIntyre are also interested.

I know Jeff Fisher is trying to get an interview and has the ear of a few prominent boosters. I'd categorize him as a big long shot, but just saying, I know this is happening.

I've heard USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell mentioned a few times. I don't know if there's anything to it but I'll look. Bruno Reagan may know a little more on this and so I'll let him opine if he does.

I think the wild card is that you can be almost certain that Vanderbilt will look for minority candidates. I think there are about a dozen minority head coaches (scroll down the page from this link) and I would think you can rule out several of them out for one reason or another. (Or maybe not; you be the judge).

Admittedly, I haven't dug into every single one because I've spent my time hearing names that pop up and not looking under every rock. But let's explore this a bit.

As I said earlier, I think Jay Norvell at Nevada has done a really good job there. Norvell is 57 but takes care of himself (he can pass for 10 years younger, last I saw him) and so if you are looking for candidates, that's a good starting point.

I know James Franklin's name has been thrown out there privately but best I can tell, this is purely a speculative play based on past ties. Things are going horribly for Franklin at Penn State and the buyout is enormous. That said, I believe Franklin's family is here and I guess crazier things have happened, but it seems far-fetched enough that I've not spend any time running it down.

Iowa State's Matt Campbell's name has been thrown around a few times privately. I also put that in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category. Campbell makes $3.5 million a year and according to this, his buyout is only $6 million.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News