ADVERTISEMENT

VandyBoys vs. UIC -- game 3

VUjunior

Admiral
Nov 30, 2015
Vienna, Austria
Dores evened up the series yesterday with a good win led by JJ Bleday offensively and Patrick Raby on the mound. Every starter got at least 1 hit, every starter got on base at least once and the only real problem was Jeren striking out 4 times (he has now stuck out 11 times in our first 5 games -- he really needs to fix that.)

UIC is likely to start Reid Birlingmair today and the Dores will counter with freshman phenom Drake Fellows. Both pitched well in their only other start.
Birlingmair went 6.2 inning, gave up 1 run on 4 hits, walked 0 and struck out 10 against Prairie View last Sunday. It was a 2-1 game until late when the PV bullpen blew it; score ended up 6-1.
Fellows tamed the Toreros of San Deigo going 6 innings, 0 runs, 2 hits, 1 walk, 5 K's.

This is a big game for the Dores as you can't afford to lose a home series against a non-conference opponent and expect to remain highly ranked. A loss today and the Dores will almost assuredly fall out of the top 10. UIC has nothing to lose and everything to gain and they are a scrappy bunch.

I have no idea how good Prairie View is (I expect not all that good) so we'll see how Birlingmair fares against a quality opponent. We'll also see if Fellows is the real deal or not (I suspect he is.)

Although it's chilly out, the sun is in full force so it's a good enough day for baseball and hopefully the Friday night crowd will return.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News