ADVERTISEMENT

Some quick thoughts on Vanderbilt and the NCAA Tournament bubble

Chris Lee

Publisher
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
RPI fell from 22 to 23 overnight, I don't think that's a big deal but thought I'd throw it out there.

Their metrics did take a small hit; at one point yesterday they had 11 Quad 1 wins but that fell to eight this morning. The reason: Beating Florida knocked the Gators out of the top 25 of the RPI and down to 28. A home win has to be top 25 of the RPI for it to count as Quad 1, so they lost two by virtue of beating the Gators.

They also lost a Quad 1 win against Texas; Quad 1 is 1-40 at neutral sites and Texas fell from 39 to 42.

Will this hurt Vanderbilt? It won't help but I'm skeptical it's some sort of killer.

And the main reason why is that the NCAA will also look at KPI, where Vanderbilt is 19th this morning.

Anyway, by either raw RPI or KPI, there's nothing to suggest this isn't a tournament team. And ugliness of the season aside, those are the things that count and it's hard to argue them being out at this point. If something crazy happens then that could change but it feels like it would have to be a whole lot of crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News