ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts on LSU

FlyDore03

Commodore
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2014
  • Some really good individual efforts today. Vaughn and Johnson both made some big plays on effort alone. Neal played his best game of the season. On defense, Herbert and McAllister both did some good things; Herbert in particular is a guy who is showing he worked hard at his game in the offseason. I continue to be impressed by Jalen Mahoney and I hope he starts to get more reps at nickel or on the outside.
  • I also think the OL played its best game of the season, and is starting to show some signs of gelling.
  • The lack of emphasis on recruiting speed on defense showed out in a bad way.
  • I opined before the season that regardless of what scheme/philosophical changes VU made on defense, it would not matter unless they improved on fundamentals like getting guys to the ground at first contact, block destruction, and team pursuit. Those have not improved. Today was the worst tackling effort I have seen in awhile by VU, both in terms of 1-on-1s and team tackling/pursuit. Yes, Tarver makes some bad calls and continues to not understand the concept of leverage. But that's secondary to the serious problems with the most fundamental aspects of good defense.
  • Mason obviously sees that, and he's right that the scheme wouldn't have mattered much with today's tackling and pursuit problems. But that "he doesn't know what else to do" about it is an absurd answer. That's something that the staff needed to make a huge priority in the spring and early in camp. The tackling issues have been noticeable the past two seasons to anyone paying attention. Those problems get magnified, of course, when the talent differential is vast like it was today. But it's been an issue against comparable talent as well, and that the head coach is scratching his head about how to improve if after the 3rd game of the season is troubling.
  • I'm sure many will disagree. But this team can get to a bowl (I'm not hopeful, but still...) The offense showed some signs of life today, and if Neal continues to get more comfortable, the OL continues to gel, and the staff doesn't forget that it's good to get the ball in the hands of guys like Cam Johnson, it can carry this team against several of the remaining opponents.
  • The defensive staff has to find a way to change the mentality of the defense and find the guys at ILB and DB who can get the job done. Will this happen? Probably not. But I'm giving my final ever benefit of the doubt to this staff, given the brutal opening schedule.
  • JMHO, but if I'm CDM, my first step is canning Tarver and and taking ownership of the defense again. This is the week to do it. I'm also letting Haynie and Orji (and maybe even Mahoney and Harris) get their shot against NIU to earn a starting job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News