ADVERTISEMENT

Quick "Is Vandy in the NCAA Baseball Tournament?" update

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
I've gone through about the top 30 teams or so through results of last night. I had VU's résumé ranked 26th yesterday afternoon, and in looking at teams behind them, I haven't found reason for any of them to pass (I haven't looked at everybody yet, but I have looked at the half-dozen or so who were right behind them lat yesterday, so it's improbable than anyone passes them.)

Of course, this is my view, but I've tried to look at it as the Selection Committee does, and if I'm right, it's highly unlikely that VU drops below a 2-seed.

So, if you're spending any time worrying about VU not being in the tournament... don't.

On destination: I spent yesterday sorting through who I thought deserved to host and to be a national seed, and then I assigned all the 2-seeds. I seeded according to geography (which the NCAA will do) but also tried to tweak it so that no really good 1 got an unfairly tough 2, and so on.

Here's what I have so far. National seed his listed first, then the 2 in the regional, followed by the host in the regional I have the NS paired with, followed by their 2:

1. Oregon St. (Missouri St.) vs Long Beach St. (Arizona)

2. North Carolina (St. John's) vs. Southern Miss (Texas)

3. Florida (USF) vs. Florida St. (UCF)

4. Texas Tech (N.C. St.) vs. Virginia (WVU)

5. Louisville (Vanderbilt) vs. Arkansas (Oklahoma)

6. LSU (SELA) vs. Clemson (Baylor)

7. TCU (Houston) vs. Stanford (Cal State-Fullerton)

8. Kentucky (Michigan) vs. Wake Forest (Mississippi St.)

I'll work on this more tonight if I get time. I'm not convinced Fullerton is a 2 after losing last night, and I really don't know what to do with the Big Ten; Nebraska won that league, which gets respect now, but it doesn't profile as a 2 otherwise, especially after losing early in the B10 Tournament.

Anyway, thought I'd share.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News