ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Recruiting Hoops recruiting mailbag: Monday edition

David Sisk

Lieutenant
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2015
Thanks to everyone who sent in questions. This is our first mailbag in awhile, but we felt now would be a good time to have one. There is a little more grey area in Vanderbilt's recruiting than there was at this time last year, but I still hope that I can answer your questions with enough facts and detail to give some clarity.

The reason we wanted to do a mailbag now is the all-important July live period is here. I will be in North Augusta, South Carolina at the Nike EYBL Peach Jam Wednesday and Thursday, followed by the Under Armour Challenge in Cartersville, Georgia Friday and Saturday. Hopefully, we can have another question and answer session at the end of the month when we may know a little more, and before the football players report.

Having rambled, let's get started.

Henry Nichols asks: "It seems like the 2019 class, especially given all the reclassification departures from its onetime ranks, is one of the weaker overall classes in recent memory. Is this accurate?"

It was projected that way early on, but when one crunches the numbers for the last five classes, it is somewhere in the middle of the bell curve, and certainly not an outlier.

Having said that, there are 26 five-star players in the 2019 class according to Rivals. By comparison, there were 31 in 2018, 29 in 2017, 26 in 2016, and 25 in 2015. So the quantity of elite players is not far off when one judges the last five years.

When we look to see the number of five and four-stars, there are 126 according to Rivals in the 2019 class. This is probably a better gauge of what the Vanderbilt staff is looking for. In contrast, last year's group was much deeper in this aspect with 139. There were 135 in 2017, only 120 in 2016, and 108 in 2015.

The thing that probably hurts the reputation of this class is that the numbers for 2018 were outstanding, but the figures are better than 2015 and 2016.

octordore asks: "Are their any high level local guys in the next couple of classes who might likely follow Garland to Vandy?"

There is one in this class. He is Damion Baugh of Tennessee Prep in Memphis, but he lived in Antioch up till a year or two ago. Baugh is ranked No. 82 nationally by Rivals and has a Vanderbilt offer among many other impressive ones. I have not gotten to talk to him yet, but I will catch up with him by this time next week at the Under Armour event in Cartersville.

Keon Johnson of Shelbyville is certainly a player who will be of the highest priority in 2020. He is ranked at No. 40, and several people who have seen him think he is being low-balled, and will climb even higher. He has already taken two unofficials to Vanderbilt. He picked up an offer recently on his second one.

Johnson likes everything about the Commodores. If he were to decide today, I would say they a good of chance as anyone, and would be in his top three along with Auburn and Tennessee.

doctordore asks: "Not recruiting related, but give us your impressions of how this team will play offensively and defensively with both the increase in speed and athletic ability throughout the lineup and with Garland running the show."

Bryce Drew has been saying since day one that he wants to play an up-tempo style offensively along with extended pressure on the other end. As we have spoken with recruits year in and year out, they vouch for what Drew is preaching. The holdup has been getting the type of talent to run this style. He hasn't had it before. The staff thinks this next season they will.

The goal is to play a fast-pace offensive game that incorporates early offense off the ball screen. If that doesn't work initially, they will run multiple ball screen motion, looking to for the pick-and-roll, pick-and-pop, drive and kick, or a downhill drive to the rim.

This group has players that compliment each other offensively. Darius Garland and Saben Lee should be vicious putting the ball on the floor, and then they have shooters versus the help such as Aaron Nesmith and Matt Ryan. If 100 percent, Simi Shittu will take over a game in multiple ways.

Defensively, Drew wants to extend the pressure. This should be right up Garland and Lee's alley out front. I think Maxwell Evans should thrive here as well. Joe Toye loves the defensive end, and Nesmith was brought in as a "three and D" player. But as the defenders overplay, it is important to have a rim protector. Last year they didn't and they paid for it.

The question to me is how will the posts play. The staff has great faith in Yanni Wetzell. Ejike Obinna and Clevon Brown hope to make strides. If need be, Shittu will be able to play on the block.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.