ADVERTISEMENT

I Just Want to Say Thank You Again for the People

MurrayHarris

Captain
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2011
Nashville
who sent in compliments to Bart, who was my internship supervisor, last summer about me when I was interning with the NCC. I really do appreciate that and that will never go unnoticed or forgotten. This was an unpaid internship and I went in to McGugin every day and worked as hard as I could and went above and beyond. Reading these comments every now and then fuel me to work harder as I pursue a career in college athletics. I now have my Master's in Sport Management and getting a job in college athletics has been pretty tough. I've been volunteering at various college athletic events and @Chris Lee can attest to this as he saw me at Bridgestone last week. I've taken out the names of the people that sent these in, but I wanted to post these for everyone to read:

Bart,

I wanted to tell you how pleased I was with Murray’s help recently. I am a Vanderbilt alum x 2 and have been in the National Commodore Club for 13 years. To be honest, I’ve struggled at times with service and follow up at the NCC. This is what made my interaction with Murray so refreshing. I was looking to move my men’s basketball seats. I had good seats in the “end zone”, but the backboard obstructed my view so I was looking to move to the corners in either sec F or L. As you know, these seats don’t come loose often and can be hard to find. Over a couple weeks, Murray kept looking. He’d call me with options. Finally, he found some promising seats, we walked over to Memorial Gym to take a look and bought the seats.
At the NCC, I’ve always been treated politely, but Murray went above and beyond. In the past, getting people to call back has at times been a challenge. I found him to be quite responsive to my concerns and worked hard to help find a solution. Murray is an intern, but I never felt like I was working with an intern. He made me feel valued by the NCC and I appreciate that. I don’t know if there is a role at Vanderbilt for Murray, but people like him are exactly the type of people I’d want working for me. I was so impressed that I asked him for his supervisor’s email and he sent it to me. I hope you don’t mind.
Additionally (I don’t know if you are the right person to tell this to), I’d make a suggestion. Your competitors in town (Titans and especially the Predators) have a leg up on the NCC in the service department. It’s not apples to apples in terms of budgets and fan base, but Vanderbilt competes with these guys for my sports dollar. To illustrate my point, let me give you an example. We bought Predators tickets once last year. Discounted tickets online for a Tuesday in March. The next week, someone from the Predators called to basically say he was my guy. Any ticket needs, any questions...I had his direct line and he would take care of it. When the Predators went to the playoffs, I called him and he got me playoff tickets. I’m not a season ticket holder for the Predators…I just bought tickets once and now have a guy. It’s a little thing, and I doubt I’ll call him more than once or twice a year, but it makes me feel valued. Can’t the NCC give its members a guy (or girl)? I’d probably only use an NCC “guy” two or three times a year. I’m not a huge donor, but have been pretty faithful over the years. Having a direct contact within the NCC (someone with Murray’s work ethic and commitment to service) would go a long way to better serve its members.
Again, please know how well Murray took care of me.

-A young man named Murray Harris is working with the NCC as an intern, but Vanderbilt needs to hire him today. I will buy season tickets again this season because of Murray and also join the NCC. I also have a group that will number 10 as of today buying tickets. All of this is because of the service given to me and our group by Murray.

-Bart,

I wanted to take a minute to recommend a full time position for Murray Harris. I recently spoke with Murray and was very impressed with his enthusiasm, energy, and dedication to our Athletic Programs, not to mention the world class service he provided to me in obtaining 2 season tickets for Football, and a Parking Pass. Murray took time to go to Dudley Stadium and take me pictures of the available seats in sections C, D, and E, as well as sending me a map of where I will be parking.
I have never been more excited about the present and future of VANDERBILT Athletics in my years of being a faithful fan, and Murray displays this as well.
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration!

-Hi Bart,

I just donated today to the Gridiron Club. It was 3x last year's donation, primarily due to the reminders, bright ideas, and content which Murray is putting out there.
We always thought that VU Athletics fundraising could use a boost and he seems like the guy who has done it. If the NCC can continue to give more bang for buck (or even make members more aware of what is already out there), then I am sure donations will grow and Commodore enthusiasm will, too.
I understand that Murray is only an intern, but to the extent you could make that a full time position, I think he would be a fabulous addition!

-Bart,

You should be aware of the great job Murray is doing. He's innovative, creative, responsive and passionate. He creates enthusiasm among Vandy fans and Commodore Club members. Murray's customer service is excellent.
If this position could become a permanent one, you'd have to look no further than Murray.
I'm a Commodore Club and Gridiron Club member. Murray's presence encourages me to up my contributions.
Thanks for your consideration

-Hi Bart,

I suspect that you have received several e-mails in the last couple of days about your intern, Murray Harris. I just wanted to pile on with the favorable feedback. I also suspect that you know that Murray posts on the Vandy Rivals site which is where I came across him. His positive attitude and passion to make a difference for the NCC and Vandy athletics literally jumps off the page. I think I have gotten more information from Murray in the last 45 days regarding Vandy athletics and opportunities to participate in events, fundraising, etc than I have in the last 5 years. Should you have an opportunity, I would strongly encourage you to find a way to keep Murray around as he is making a difference amongst some of the most rabid supporters in the Vandy athletics community.

-Hi Mr. Smith,

I am a NCC member and a subscriber to the VandySports.com service and “War Room” forum. Recently one of your Interns began interacting with us in the War Room and helped some select new locations for season tickets and also provided tours of facilities. He has been interested in ideas to promote the NCC that some of us would like to see. His name is Murray Harris. He has been an outgoing and efficient representative of NCC and the Vanderbilt Athletic Department.
Having an intern like Murray has been fantastic and eye opening for some.
Murray mentioned that his internship is ending soon and I really hope that you can either extend the internship or else find a permanent position for him with the NCC or somewhere in McGugin (assuming that is his desire). Coach Mason has really made some extraordinary hires the past several years in football and it would be nice to see such an enthusiastic and energetic young person be part of the growth of the more administrative side of our Athletic Department.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News