ADVERTISEMENT

You throw out the record book when Vanderbilt and Georgia State face off in football

HMHS

Admiral
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2016
A couple of interesting tidbits in the article below. Didn’t realize we’ve committed 15 penalties. The last comment led to the thread title.

September 11, 2024 - FIELD LEVEL MEDIA

CHASING ‘SPECIAL SEASON,’ VANDERBILT VISITS GEORGIA STATE​

Vanderbilt is looking to build on a strong start as the Commodores take their first road trip of the season to meet Georgia State on Saturday in Atlanta.

Vanderbilt (2-0) enjoyed great defense and special teams play in a 55-0 win over Alcorn State last weekend. The Commodores didn’t allow the Braves to cross midfield, gave up just 71 yards and got a pick-six from Alan Wright.

Meanwhile, Brock Taylor hit both his field-goal attempts and Martel Hight added a 57-yard punt return for a score.

But it is the offense, led by quarterback Diego Pavia, that has made Vanderbilt fun to watch. Pavia has passed for 273 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for a team-high 155 yards and two scores. The Commodores have yet to turn the ball over.

“We want a special season and that means we have to continue to improve,” said coach Clark Lea, whose team has already matched last year’s win total (2-10).

One area of concern is penalties, as Vanderbilt has committed 15 for 155 yards.

Georgia State (1-1) is fresh off a 24-21 comeback win over Chattanooga, with Freddie Brock’s fourth-quarter touchdown run providing the winning points.

It made for a terrific birthday present for first-year Panthers coach Dell McGee, who faced the Commodores last year as the running backs coach at Georgia.

“I really appreciate our guys fighting through, never giving in,” McGee said. “I know that was an ugly win, but I really appreciate our guys. I think in the long run we’re going to learn from this and when we’re in a tighter ball game it’s really going to count.”

Christian Veilleux has completed 45 of 72 passes for 448 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions and has been sacked just once.
Linebacker Justin Abraham (17 tackles, two for loss) has been the Panthers’ most active defender. Abraham left the field with an injury in Saturday’s win but later returned for a key third-down sack that forced a punt.

This is the first meeting between the programs.

–Field Level Media

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.