ADVERTISEMENT

Off topic Why I'll Be Pulling For Burrows & Bengals Today

Jack Mercer

Admiral
Gold Member
May 12, 2005
My wife called my attention to an article on Joe Burrows that appeared in the NYT. She then asked me, "Did you know Joe Burrows is from Appalachia?" I didn't but he is. He's a certified Hillbilly and while he wasn't born in Appalachia grew up there from the time he was a small boy. Suddenly I got him. He's not trying to imitate Joe Namath he's just being who he is. When I saw him in his Sherpa coat with hearts I remembered thinking he's imitating Namath in his fur coat. Then I found out the coat had been designed by one of his buds in Athens, Ohio. Athens has a poverty rate of 40% not uncommon for communities in Appalachia but Athens is the poorest city in OHIO. Want to get an idea of what Athens is like watch the movie Holler.

Folks have said he has an understated swag. One way to look at it. But what I see is what I call Mountain Grit...the working title for the book I've been writing. Here's the money observation for understanding Joe Burrow that appeared in the NYT article. He, Burrow, didn't think anyone was below him, beneath him, or above him. That's a Hillbilly creed. Mountain Grit means you can get knocked on your ass 9 times in a playoff game and get back up 9 times for the win.

Unfortunately I still think Bengals get beat. Not because of Burrows but because the Cincy OL may get overwhelmed by Rams DL, especially Donaldson. But I expect Burrows to play like a Spartan. He will either win the game or come home on his shield. It's what not only Spartans do but Hillbillys as well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/12/sports/joe-burrow-style-super-bowl.html?searchResultPosition=1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News