ADVERTISEMENT

Why does VU rank so poor defensively but so great offensively this yr compared to last yr really good defensively but not so great offensively?

Bighornsheep

Admiral
Gold Member
Apr 15, 2004
KEN Pom this yr 26th most efficient offense but 182 most efficient defense

Last yr 40th most efficient defense but 90th most efficient offense.

It’s mind boggling really. I mean, offensively it shows you what a good offense big man can do for you is why I think so. Plus you have Lawrence who has developed and a PG that is great at driving, finishing, dishing and facilitating.

But you had Pippen who was a great scorer and Stute shot much better last yr.

I just think the combo big man/pg they have this plus Lawerence development plus what they are getting from some others on occasion like Thomas/Wright plus Smith the offense just had been really good. Too much just watching Pippen last yr.

Defense is more of a quandary. They have much better rim protection in Robbins, a much better on ball defender at the PG in Manjon. So what’s the issue. I thought Q was excellent at D last yr. It seems they over help much more this yr. I think they were also better at takeaways / turning other team over last yr (haven’t looked this up so maybe I’m off). But on paper it seems they should be better this yr. Not only are they not, they’ve almost fallen off the cliff in terms of defensively.

Offense is really amazing. It’s been yrs since they’ve ranked this high. But defense is killing them. FL is a bad offensive team and there was a stretch in the 2nd half when VU didn’t get a zero point stop for around 10 possessions for example. It’s crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News