ADVERTISEMENT

Football Who Remembers the 1996 VU - Notre Dame Game?

Pacific Steve

Master
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2005
Apologies if this has already been posted - but I remember that game well. Notre Dame won 14-7, but we led 7-6 late in the game. I was still a student at Vandy and I remember attending that game with several friends. Like many Vandy teams at the time, our defense was good and allowed us to hang around with the opposition for awhile. Jamie Duncan was great, I remember watching him lead our defense and for the day he helped force 2 fumbles and had 13 tackles. Watching him play for us was always a treat.

I remember my friends being down on our QB Damien Allen at the time, all up until he heaved the miracle pass that fell into Todd Yoder's hands to give us a touchdown and a 7-6 lead. The stadium went crazy and many of the same folks who had been down on Allen a few moments before were now claiming him to be a savior.

The rest of the game played out the way many Vandy fans expect. We had a lead, we fought to hang on, and then we lost it towards the end. It hurt, but oh well, welcome to Vandy football. Here is an old writeup I found about that game, as well as a copy of an old Notre Dame season recap that includes a discussion of their game against us. That game was one of the few "highlights" of the Rod Dowhower era that lasted 2 years. For any newer fans wondering about the stability of Vandy football in the 1990s, Vandy had 3 different football coaches in a 4 year span from 1994 - 1998. That gives some idea as to the state of the program then. Having been through that time, I'm a big believer in having some stability!

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...coordinator-bob-davie-notre-dame-autry-denson

http://archives.nd.edu/Football/Football-1996s.pdf

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News