ADVERTISEMENT

Who is actually making a difference?

Warrikk

Admiral
Gold Member
Feb 2, 2004
Let me disclaim that I think we’d be 2-2 almost regardless of the changes we made, unless Derek Mason were coach then we’d be 1-3. But an SEC team, even Vandy as bad as we often are, with this schedule should be 2-2.

But we’re also more competitive. A lot of our previous coaches might not beat Va Tech and I’m not sure if any other than Franklin that would play the #7 team at their home field until a virtual standstill 99% of the game. Some Lea bashers, and I’ve been one since his first boring press conference, want to pretend Missouri isn’t a good team. They are — we just made them look bad with a bit of help from their fg kicker.

My argument is that it isn’t this magical unicorn on Beck/Kill. Any coaching change even if it’s the S&C coach or that this program even if it’s the chef creates a great deal of optimism. It’s easy because when you have someone new you can’t point to losing. We don’t hire head coaches or sign recruits who have done poorly so you can put them in a vacuum and say “all will now be great!”

I think we are more competitive and I think it’s Pavia. The kid is a gamer who moves the ball. Which, I mean, is one of the two most important things you can ever do in football (stopping the other team from moving the ball being the other of course).

Do we give him better plays than say a Ted Cain would? Sure. But talent makes coaches look good. For a long run we have not had QBs that can move the ball and Pavia does just that.

How does it shake out? After watching the last game I’d bet we get 4 wins. That’s actually worst case for me because Candice will get all excited and possibly give Lea an infinite contract extension and this board will go berserk with glee when we beat UK and claim next year with Kill/Beck we are marching toward 9 wins, and then throw an unholy meltdown when we are losing by 3 points in the first quarter of our first game.

But if we do somehow get Pavia back and bring in more talent (not sure Lea is capable of that but maybe the portal again), I’ll actually be excited for next year. And after ‘Bama thumps us 50-10 and the sky is falling, I still think we win 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.