ADVERTISEMENT

Football Wednesday's practice/fall camp update

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
We got to watch about 30 minutes of practice today, including about a half-dozen scrimmage reps. Here’s what stood out.

THE QUARTERBACK COMPETITION
Either Vanderbilt doesn’t have a pecking order at QB, or it is doing a really good job using its open portion of practices to keep us guessing.
QB Riley Neal took the first several scrimmage reps today. However, before that, when they were doing 11-on-0 run-throughs, which lasted much longer, QB Deuce Wallace got almost all the snaps. It seems as if VU alternates the two with the first team during live reps; I think Wallace got first scrimmage snaps yesterday.
Neal (I think) was 3-for-3, hitting a couple of short passes to running backs and finding WR Amir Abdur-Rahman on about a 10-yard throw to the sideline.

OFFENSIVE LINE
Right now, the biggest concern probably centers around guards.
Right now, neither Saige Young or Sean McMoore are practicing. I think VU is just resting both because each has been frequently hurt, so this shouldn’t send alarm bells.
However, it was a bit of a reality check to see walk-on Michael Warden getting live reps at left guard today. In hindsight, I wish I’d noticed whether Rowan Godwin got any reps while we were out there. (And as an aside, I’m still not sure I’ve ever seen Carlton Lorenz get any meaningful scrimmage reps since he’s been here.)
On Opening Day, I still expect the same five who’ve run first team most of camp (from left to right, Devin Cochran, Young, Grant Miller, Cole Clemens and Tyler Steen) but depth seems to be a concern.
As for Steen: I watched him pass-block a couple of snaps in live reps and he held his own.

PASS TARGET DISTRIBUTION
We knew VU was deep at receiver and tight end, and I’ve seen nothing to change my mind.
If I had to guess how target share breaks out this year, I’d guess something like this:
  1. WR Kalija Lipscomb
  2. TE Jared Pinkney
  3. WR Cam Johnson
  4. WR Chris Pierce
  5. WR C.J. Bolar
  6. WR Amir Abdur-Rahman
  7. RB Ke’Shawn Vaughn
  8. TE Ben Bresnahan
Johnson seems to be on the field more than any receiver besides Lipscomb. But I’m having a hard time knowing what to do from No. 4 down and so don’t put a ton of stock into that for now.
I’m going to leave Justice Shelton-Moseley out of it for now. I’ve seen so few scrimmage reps that I’m just not sure where he fits in and I need to ask.
Abdur-Rahman is the wild card. The talent is there, but will he know the playbook and run routes well enough to vault over a few guys ahead of him who probably understand better what to do?
Vaughn may also end up with a higher target share.

THE SECONDARY
I’ve done a little more research on the depth chart there. For now, I think it is:

CB: Carriere-Willams/Haynie/Douglas
CB: Watkins/Hamilton/B.J. Anderson
FS: Daley/Harris/Barksdale
SS: Coppet/Worship/Jerkins
Nickel: George/Jeudy/Quillen or Mahoney

That’s all I have for now, feel free to ask questions and I’ll answer what I can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News