ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday morning's practice report

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
Vanderbilt had its first early-morning practice starting in the 6-o’clock hour on Wednesday at the practice complex behind McGugin. I was there for all the drills and scrimmage portions; here’s what I saw.

GENERAL NEWS AND NOTES
The window of practices for us to watch is winding down. There’s an afternoon practice today (which I won’t be able to make), two practices tomorrow (I think I can make both) and two Friday (I can make one, not sure about the second). From there, they’ll be shutting it down in terms of media access, which unfortunately precludes any of us from attending Saturday’s scrimmage. But I can’t complain; we get better media access than a lot of people.

The first session on the turf field dealt with special teams. Again, it was a bit of a walk-through, with punters punting to return men and a group of 4-5 coaches surrounding each returner in a semi-circle, getting close to the returner and yelling and trying to distract the player as he caught the ball.

The rest of the work were positional drills and maybe 20-25 minutes of scrimmage conditions on the artificial turf field.

Houston Texans scout Mike Martin, a former VU defensive back, was on hand to watch today. I also saw a Patriots scout.

NON-PARTICIPANTS
OL Andrew Jelks
QB Shawn Stankavage
OLB Caleb Peart
S Austin Quillen
(FWIW, he was in pads and a helmet)

LIMITED PARTICIPANTS (meaning, perhaps some work in drills or other activity, but no scrimmage participation)
WR Darrius Sims
(returned punts in drills)
DT Jay Woods
CB Donovan Sheffield
DL Riley Tindol
ILB Josh Smith
(no more arm sling)
OLB Charles Wright

INDIVIDUAL NOTES
I wouldn’t read anything into it—especially since I think QB Kyle Shurmur may have gotten the most reps—but QB Wade Freebeck got the first snaps with the first team today. Certainly, Shurmur was the best performer of any of the QBs today.

Freebeck didn’t have a good day, but one thing I liked was seeing him get outside the tackles and get rid of the ball on one occasion. It’s his tendency sometimes to hang onto the ball too long and take a sack.

The team was really efficient when it went up-tempo today. With one exception of what appeared to be a false start, the offense looked in synch and getting plays off as quickly as I remember seeing it do before.

Shurmur was really sharp, leading the team down the field on a couple of drives. Completions went to WR Trent Sherfield (about 20-25 yards), Duncan (about 10), RB Ralph Webb (about 10-15), Sherfield (about 10), WR Caleb Scott (about 10), Tennyson (10-15) and another for 15 where I didn’t catch the receiver.

Webb also had a nice run between LG Delando Crooks and LT Will Holden for maybe 10-15 yards in between.

Much of this was against the second-team defense and I think the effort was perhaps a little more relaxed in terms of contact and such.

Freebeck made two big mistakes, throwing picks to CB Torren McGaster and CB Taurean Ferguson. Ferguson’s pick was a near-pick-6 covering maybe 40-50 yards; my vision was blocked by players on the sideline, but I think Freebeck pushed him out of bounds deep down the field.

This was Ferguson’s second pick in two practices, though one came in positional drills with one of the QBs throwing.

WR Kalijah Lipscomb had a nice catch on about a 10-15-yard throw from Freebeck. Because of the nature of practices—they’re often working on two fields—I don’t see everything and have not watched Lipscomb in particular, but an insider remarked to me that they’d seen him make a bunch of great catches so far in camp.

WR Winston Guilllory, a sophomore walk-on from Dallas, had another good catch today. I don’t know what it’ll mean, but he’s had several nice catches in the past two or three practices. He looks better than your average wide receiver walk-on.

The emphasis in scrimmage conditions was on passing; probably 80-90 percent of the plays were passes, which made since because it seemed more or less a hurry-up offense they were running. I remember RB Khari Blasingame getting a carry for about five yards, but I don’t remember anyone else other than Webb getting a touch in the running game.

TEAM NOTES

Punt return reps: Sims, WR Donaven Tennyson, S Ryan White, WR C.J. Duncan, and I think I saw Lipscomb there, also.

The starting offensive line remained as it has been for several days: LT Will Holden, LG Delando Crooks, C Barrett Gouger, RG Bailey Granier, RT Justin Skule

KEY TAKEAWAYS
It was maybe a 15-20-play sample-size, so take that for what it’s worth, but Shurmur absolutely showed me everything I wanted to see today. Keep in mind it was largely against reserves, but he was super sharp and I don’t even remember him throwing a single incomplete pass. It was probably the best practice I’ve ever seen him have. If that’s the Shurmur they get this fall, the offense will take a big step up.

With Jelks out for the fourth- or fifth-straight practice (I’m losing count), I think this officially has to be a concern. He’s not even doing light jogging or work of any sort, though (if you want to strain for a silver lining) he’s not limping when he walks.

Seeing Josh Smith without the arm sling was welcome news. He only wore that a couple of days and was back in pads today.

I think we’ve noted this before, but DE Adam Butler worked inside again today, and DE Torey Agee has worked there some also. Both are also working at their normal positions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News