ADVERTISEMENT

VandyBoys vs. Bame, game 2

VUjunior

Admiral
Nov 30, 2015
Vienna, Austria
History was made last night and we were all able to witness it.
Last night was Tim Corbin's largest margin of victory over an SEC opponent ever, 17 runs.
This eclipsed our previous mark of 16, a 19-3 game 3 win over our friends from the east in 2011.
So, congrats to Tim and let's go break that record tonight.

Actually, I'm hoping we don't need 18 runs to win, just like last night we only needed 2 runs in reality. Given how his teammates rarely give him much run support I'm guessing a close game tonight with Wright yet again. Bama has saved their #1 pitcher for tonight and will throw their #2 pitcher tomorrow. Their coach obviously has a strategy of win 1 game and be happy.

The Dores are now averaging 17.5 runs scored in their last 2 games. It's also the 11th time this year they've scored double figures. They've also scored 9 runs 5 times. As a result, in our 32 overall wins we've scored 9 or more runs 50% of the time. That's pretty amazing actually, and surpassing what even the 2013 Juggernaut team was able to accomplish as they "only" scored 9 or more runs in 46% of their wins. Who'd have ever thought this year's team could compare in any way favorably with the record-setting 2013 team?

So what we've seen all season is that against very, very good pitchers Vandy struggles to score. Against everyone else (including some "good" pitchers, like Alex Faedo of Florida) they score a lot. That's a big gap, most teams are more evenly spread out in that regard, more like a Bell Curve. Vandy's run production is heavy on the tail ends of the Bell Curve and meager in the middle. There's a statistical term for that but, as my gray cells slowly fade away, that particular gray cell of memory is long gone. I'm sure someone will know the word.

Now, what was I talking about? Where are my car keys? Where did I put my coffee cup? Oh, yeah, statistics.

Actually, that's enough for a statistics lesson today, or, as my late, great Prob & Stats professor once said, "Everything in life is like a roll of the dice. You never know what you're going to get ... but at least you can make a theoretical guess." Somehow I always linked my professor with Forrest Gump and his box of chocolates, sort of the Abbott and Costello of statistics.

The Dores find themselves in an interesting spot in the SEC, currently 8th but only 1/2 game out of 6th. Sixth seems to be our regular SECT seed in recent years and for this year it would be a great accomplishment. Let us never forget that our 2014 squad was the 6 seed in Hoover and I'm sure we all remember how that year turned out. Maybe 6 is our lucky number.

We are 14-13 and both A&M and Auburn are both 15-13 after they both lost last night. So, let's all pull for both of them to lose again and, as always, pull for our Dores to win.

Reactions: cmoore83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News