ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread VandyBoys vs. Arkansas, game 3

VandyJunior2

Admiral
Gold Member
Feb 13, 2019
Nashville, Tennessee
One thing I've learned to never do is doubt Tim Corbin's decisions. He switched Raby and Rocker this weekend because Raby wasn't going deep into games and he wanted to save his bullpen for the Sunday game, Vandy having lost 3 of 4 SEC Sunday games (two of which resulted in series losses) and two of which the bullpen was terrible.

His plan is working to perfection so far this weekend. Fellows and Rocker worked deep into the games and Tyler Brown only threw 20 pitches (85% of which were strikes) on Friday, meaning he's available for Sunday should the need arise. In fact, EVERYBODY is available from the bullpen, further increasing Corbs' ability to make moves in game 3. My guess is he hopes to get 5 innings from Raby, 2-3 from a mix of King-Eder-Fisher-Smith and 1-2 from Brown, depending on circumstances.

While it would be exceedingly nice to sweep Arkansas, don't get your hopes up too high. It's very difficult to sweep anybody, much less a team considered Top 10 in the country. There have been 8 sweeps in the first 4 weekends of the SEC (29%), but none of them involved a team with a winning record getting swept. So, I'd put the odds at about 20% for a Dores win today under normal circumstances.

One thing in our favor is that we knocked around Arkansas' supposedly 2nd best pitcher yesterday. He didn't even record an out. Today we face the dreaded TBA. While it's most likely to be Cody Scroggins (their Sunday starter in weeks 1-7) or Patrick Wicklander (week 8 starter and 5 inning shutout winner over Auburn, and also a lefty) we can't really know for sure. Both have decent stats, but neither is overwhelming. My guess is we'll see Wicklander.

On our side, Raby had really good SEC stats up until last week when he got bombed at Georgia (3 innings, 6 runs.) His overall numbers are still good (5-1, 2.43 ERA. OBA .214) but his SEC ERA has ballooned. If last week was just an off-week then our chances go up a great deal, maybe even to 50/50.

Around the nation, two teams above us in the rankings have lost their series this weekend, Georgia and NC State. Oregon State could potentially lose their series today. While we should move up from #7, I'm thinking Georgia may stay ahead of us. So perhaps #6 or, if OSU loses, #5 come Monday's polls.

In any event, get on out to The Hawk if you can. Looks like a beautifully warm day (already into the 70's at my house) and, should we sweep like we did against Florida, you'll be glad you showed up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News