ADVERTISEMENT

#VandyBoys - UGA, game 3

VUjunior

Admiral
Nov 30, 2015
Vienna, Austria
Did anybody else get their cool VandyBoys window sticker Friday night? Actually I got 2 by exiting twice since I have 2 vehicles. Nobody noticed and I'm counting on no one here telling on me.

Dores go for the sweep with Patrick Raby on the mound. Killa is ready if needed; Bowden is ready if needed. So are a lot of other people. It's been a good weekend with our starters going 8/7 innings each.

Georgia is switching their game #3 starter again; it's been a problem for them all year. Early in the SEC season today's Georgia starter Heath Holder was their #2 guy. He got bombed by Kentucky. The 2nd weekend he was moved to #3. He got roughed up by Miss State. He was then replaced in the rotation by Bo Tucker. Tucker promptly got bombed by A&M, SC, and Florida, so it's back to bullpen for him.

In Holder's 2 starts he went a total of 5.1 innings and gave up 7 earned runs (9.19 ERA.) He walked 7; that's a BB/9inn of 9.19. He's done some bullpen work since then with no significantly positive results. Prior to the SEC season he did quite well, however, and has an overall ERA of 2.64 and OBA of just .152. His season K/9 is a hefty 11.1; his season BB/9 is 5.7.

My guess is we either drive Holder out early or he pitches a complete game shutout against us and strikes out 15 of our guys. Such is our history with TBA pitchers in the past it seems.

The Dores' bottom of the line-up were the heroes yesterday. Toffey continues to stroke the ball with 2 really good hits along with a beautifully placed bunt single. Kaiser does a much better job of hitting when he doesn't try to pull the ball and goes with the pitch. Campbell continues to spray the ball to all fields, something I've begun to notice about him a few weeks ago. That's a smart hitter.

Kendall is still baffling. I would not be surprised to see him strike out twice today with a succession of sissy swings, only to get extra base hits in his other plate appearances. Perhaps he's just guessing at pitches and swings accordingly and that's why so many of his swings look so bad or he stands there and watches strike 3 go by, yet others are hit right on the nose with power.

It seems Corbs is done tinkering with the line-up and what we have now is what we will have for the duration. My only regret is that we could somehow get Paul in the mix more often. Who knows, maybe he'll be this year's 2014 CWS Tyler Campbell. One never knows about such things.

If I were a betting man, which I'm not, I'd put money on the Dores to sweep today. It may be our last opportunity for a sweep this year.

One more thing ICYMI, UT lost to Missouri again and lose the series with a possible sweep today. Among the SEC cellar-dwellers the Vols now have lost series to the other 2 worst teams, meaning they would lose any tie-breaker to see who gets to go to Hoover.
One of my favorite SNL skits was back in '88 with Jon Lovitz (Dukakis) and Dana Carvey (Bush) debating and after a long, disjointed spiel by Carvey, Lovitz looks at the camera and says, "How am I losing to this guy?" That's the way I feel about UT last weekend.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News