ADVERTISEMENT

VandyBoys - Belmont .... Alas, more bears

VUjunior

Admiral
Nov 30, 2015
Vienna, Austria
for the 4th straight game we play a team formerly known as rebels but now called bears. Of course, Bruins is just a posh kind of bear, and that's fitting given the 2 schools...one coarse and crass, the other cerebral and kind and, best of all, Vince Gill's favorite school. Ole miss, on the other hand, is the favorite school of most KKK members.

For perhaps the first time this year we play a team with a losing record. Belmont is 8-10 with series losses to Kent St, Ga Tech and Morehead. They have a lone series win over Eastern KY. Our one common opponent is Western KY and Belmont lost to them twice while Vandy bear them. I mean "beat" them.

They don't hit well at .237 as a team. Only 3 guys hit over .233. Before you get excited remember Vandy only has 4 guys above .239. Their 3 decent hitters exceed our 4 decent hitters. They have a guy with 4 home runs. So do we. Vandy is hitting .269 as a team, the best it's been this year.

The biggest difference is pitching. Belmonts team ERA is 4.83, Vandy's is 2.81. Their likely starter is Ben Lovell who rarely pitches more than 2-3 innings. They've used a Johnny Wholestaff approach in weekend days mostly. Vandy counters with Chandler Day I'm guessing who has 2 good starts of late under his belt and has pitched better and longer each game. He is 2-0 with a 4.05 ERA, mostly because his first appearance in San Diego could best be described as an unmitigated disaster.

Vandy has lost 2 of the last 3 games with Belmont so we best not get too cocky about this game. Speaking of that, how about the South Carolina basketball team? Loved seeing them topple Duke despite the refs best efforts to give the game to Duke in the closing minutes. Cocky, of course is their stupid mascot and, even more stupid, is that "cock-a doodle-do" they repeatedly sound at football teams. It ranks second only to repetitive playing of Rocky Top as the most obnoxious thing in college football which is appropriate given how obnoxious Butch Jones was, is, and shall evermore be, at least until he gets fired, at which point I'll develop a fondness for his plight.

I'm hoping those pitchers from the past that beat us have moved on. I'm also hoping we beat them as we will need all the non-conference wins we can get. Even so, if we lose I intend to find some bright spot. In my former pretend-life I was a political spin doctor and I could explain away even the most gut-wrenching landslide loss to the most despicable opponent ever and make it sound like a win. Were I still pretending to be a spin doctor I bet I could even run circles around Sean Spicer with one hand tied behind my back. Then again, that's not saying much, most anybody could do that.

Prediction: Vandy wins 7-2.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News