ADVERTISEMENT

Vandy vs. Tennessee: Dave's Swan Song?

VUjunior

Admiral
Nov 30, 2015
Vienna, Austria
Heard this little ditty on the radio up in Knoxville the other day and thought I’d share it with you.

(sung to tune of “The Beverly Hillbillies”)

Come and listen to my story about a man named Dave
A poor Cali boy, barely ever went to school
And then one day he was throwin’ with his son
And up to his house come a UT AD

Dave that is, Dave Hart, Ktown boy

Well, the first thing you know ol’ Dave's got himself a job
The kinfolk said "Dave, move away from here"
They said "The SEC is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the Jag and they moved to Tennessee

Vols, that is. Lotsa fools, crappie fans.....

Well, now it's time to say good bye to Dave and all his kin
And they would like to whack you folks for bein’ mean to him
You're all invited to Cali to see him when you want
To have a heapin' helpin' of his ineffectiveness

Hillbilly that is. Laugh a spell, Take your cleats off

Never come back now, ya hear?

I only mention this because the UT Vols come to town this weekend to play our VandyBoys and, hard as it is to believe, Dave Serrano is still their coach.

I have no inside knowledge on Dave’s future and I know there are many who want him to get his contract extended in hopes that Dave will be just as effective his 7th year as he was his 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th years, i.e., not at all.

Dave inherited a cellar-dwelling team than lost a weekend series to Vanderbilt losing all 3 games and getting outscored 39-5. I’m talking baseball, too, not football. After toiling away for 6 years Dave now his Vols in … the cellar. Or almost. He’s ahead of Alabama but there’s 200 other teams that can say the same thing so that’s not much.

Dave has found that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the country and my guess is he wasn’t all that fond of all that snow they get in Knoxville either. Pile on top of that the fact Tim Corbin has Tennessee locked up in terms of recruiting the best high school players and Dave got far more than he bargained for when negotiatined his first contract.

He made $400,000 that first year. He still makes $400,000. That’s what happens when you live in the cellar, you know, sort of like my Uncle Icky who’s been in Grandpa’s Orville’s cellar for going on 75 years now and still makes the same amount of salary he did 75 years ago, i.e., zero, although he does get to eat Grandma’s cooking. Icky also weights 400 pounds.
a98150_g4.jpg

Dave isn’t quite up to 400 pounds yet but he’s pushing it. He now walks like a penguin
and perpetually looks like his butt hurts.
636211370356317948-0917-KCSP-serrano.JPG

Being from UT that’s not all that hard to believe, actually, what with all that butt chugging that goes on. My guess is it has more to do with his butt getting kicked over and over again on the baseball field.

Dave brings his Vols into town with an overall record of 21-17 but an SEC mark of only 5-13. He’s won 1 series (Florida of all people), lost 5 series, and been swept twice. His remaining series are @Vandy, Arkansas,@ Kentucky and Missouri. Holy moley, he’s gonna get the snot beat out of himself quite a bit between now and moving day. By now, though, Dave is quite used to that.

Even so, one must not overlook Dave and his Bad News Vols.
v1.bTsxMTE2OTI1NTtqOzE3MzY0OzEyMDA7ODAwOzEyMDA
They do tend to play a lot of close games and they do have 3 starting pitchers capable of pitching well. The bullpen’s not all that hot and they don’t really score a lot of runs but they’ve managed to eke out some wins with a little luck here and there (3 extra inning wins among the 5 wins.) Of course, a little less luck and he’d been tied with Alabama right now at 2-16.

Another reason we can’t overlook UT is that we are 5-5 with them in the last 10 games, including 2 series losses – 2014 and 2016. That’s right, our National Champions lost their series to UT. So despite being 6-11 overall with Vandy it is possible Dave can pull off a series win this weekend and dash the Dores hopes for the post-season … something Dave knows nothing about since coming to UT.

Pitching Match-ups (SEC only stats)

Friday … Patrick Raby (4-1, 3.29, .271) vs. Hunter Martin (1-3, 3.12, .230)

Saturday … Kyle Wright (2-2, 2.54, .207) vs. Garrett Stallings (0-1, 4.78, .324)

Sunday … Chandler Day (1-0, 5.06, .300) vs. Zach Warren (0-2, 5.65, .296)

Batting Leaders (SEC only):

UT –

Jordan Rodgers .333
12370145.jpeg

Andre Lipcius .319
12370124.jpeg

Pete Derkay .281
12370078.jpeg

Vandy –

Jeren Kendall .336 (5th in Hits, 3rd in Runs, 3rd in HR, 4th in TB, 2nd in SB, 5th in SLG)
108265274_custom-213be342af06f3fdcc6579b46979b3779337de65-s700-c85.jpg

Jason Delay .294
thumb.aspx

Julian Infante .286
faithfulhouseboy.jpg

Will Toffey .276 (1st in BB)
0916-matt-damon-years09-300w.jpg

A SAFE guess would be Dores take the series 2-1. But I’ll go out on a limb and say Vandy sweeps in 3 relatively close games. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News