ADVERTISEMENT

Football Tuesday morning update

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
I wanted to tie up some loose ends and address some questions about the coaching search this morning, and I received some background this morning that may be important.

As you know, I reported yesterday that Jamey Chadwell was prepared to take job if he was allowed to coach the Sun Belt title game, then, offered other evidence of what I have heard that I believe supports that position. I have not written a story offering it up as fact that it is a done deal—though I’ve heard some claims that it is—though it is my belief that Chadwell will be Vanderbilt’s next coach based on many things I have seen and heard, most of which I have detailed for you yesterday and before.

So with that, I have a contact who is very familiar with how coaching searches go and how search firms work and with that, I’ll offer some background that I think explains this.

Schools—and especially search firms—work multiple candidates at once. As a source who’s been in the middle of this told me, he’s seen several people leave campus with an offer sheet. “If you want the job, these are the terms, would you accept the job?” is the way it was stated.

I believe that it's plausible that's where they are with Chadwell. There have been claims it’s “done” but to me that can mean a lot of things. Is it verbal, or have the signatures been put on the contract, and such? And even so, you have to tell your team and sometimes that is where people get cold feet.

Or in one instance I have heard, a coach was literally on his way to tell his team he was leaving, got upset when he heard on the radio that he was heading to another school, got upset and called back the school where he was headed and said, “No thanks!”

There is also a rumor circulating in the coaching community that Clark Lea is putting together a potential staff for Vanderbilt. And I think if it’s not Chadwell, it’s probably Lea.

These things are always incredibly complicated. I have a friend in the business who shall go nameless who reported a hire that blew up the search. And I also have found that when you get really close to the truth, one thing that can happen is that the denials and cover stories and alternate theories start flying quickly.

And so with that said, I try to be careful and respectful of others in these things, I try to protect sources, I try not to blow up a search. But I also try to tell you what I am thinking and hearing because you are my customers and you pay for info, and so what you get is a fair balance of things. And I will also tell you that I have done a ton of work on this search, work that started weeks ago and the number of people I’ve talked to during this search would be in double digits.

So, to reiterate: I am not reporting that Jamey Chadwell is Vanderbilt’s next coach because I do not have knowledge that a contract has been signed. And even if it has been signed, coaches can get cold feet. But I do think I owe you a duty to tell you what I am hearing , and I feel I've done my diligence and kicked every rock I know to kick, and this is my take as of this writing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News