ADVERTISEMENT

Football Tuesday afternoon coaching thoughts

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
Okay, I've been on the phone trying to make sense of what's going on and why there's so much conflicting info, but here are some things I've heard that are interesting..

I have been told that the perception in the Sun Belt is that Chadwell is taking the Vanderbilt job. I circled back on that today to make sure I'd heard that right and had that was verified again.

However, I have a source who had ties very high up to Coastal Carolina and I was told that the school is not going to let him go to Vanderbilt without a fight. If it's another SEC school then fine, they know it's a losing battle. But if it's Vanderbilt, then people are going to be in your ear about the job being a coach-killer and all the things we know. "It's a death sentence" is the way my source phrased it.

The other thing is the perception that the Tennessee job will be open in a year. I'm not saying that Chadwell would get or take the job, but, Coastal can make the case to him that hey, you're in great shape here, stick around and be more selective about the job you take. Hang out here for another year, we'll give you a raise and see what comes up.

With that said, I think a lot of the particular attributes about the Vanderbilt job are what attracted Chadwell to Vanderbilt in the first place. I was told specifically that the fact the school didn't have out-of-control expectations were an appeal to Chadwell. And say what you want about the job but you can make huge money at VU without the pressure.

As for this "he's not a factor," talk, I just don't believe that unless he's pulled out and someone's saving face. (And that happens frequently in these searches.) There's been too much flying around from too many corners for this to be a non-event and Vanderbilt would have to be certifiably crazy not to look at him given that I know he was interested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News