ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Thursday's Practice Report - 8/9

Sean_Williams

Admiral
Staff
Oct 14, 2013
Bowling Green, KY
vanderbilt.rivals.com
Vanderbilt started practice with some special teams work, then moved to individual drills, 7on7, then concluded with 11-on-11 action. This was a "thud" practice.

- At the beginning of practice, the offense was practicing some end arounds featuring Camron Johnson and Donaven Tennyson.

- A note from 7-on-7 action, which they were only in for five minutes. I liked what I saw from freshman wide receiver Amir Abdur-Rahman, who made a couple of nice receptions. One on a comeback route and the other diving out of bounds on an out-route.

11-on-11 Highlights:
- JoeJuan Williams made a couple of really solid plays back to back to begin the portion. He broke free on a corner blitz and registered a sack on Shurmur, then stopped Khari Blasingame in the backfield for no gain on run to the right.

- Overall, the practice was spirited. There were at least three or four occasions where the players got into a mini scrum after the play was over. Seems to be lots of competitive fire among the players.

- Rutger Reitmaier broke through the line early on a registered a sack.

- In regards to Javeon Marlow, he didn't do a whole lot this evening overall, but broke off a couple of really good runs that went for about 12+ yards. While his evening might have been tame, I can see why @Chris Lee has been raving about him from the small sample size I saw.

- Jamauri Wakefield also had three good runs from what I saw that went for at least 10+ before the whistle was blown. I really liked him in the spring when I saw him and like him even more after tonight's practice. The running back depth, plus the variety of skills each bring is pretty dynamic.

- Ke'Shawn Vaughn took a screen pass from Shurmur for 15+ yards early on in the session then broke a 20+ yard run where he broke a couple of defenders' ankles (not literally) with some tremendous open-field cuts he made to get by.

- Freshman tight end Gavin Schoenwald got in on the action, catching an 8-yard pass on a slant route from Mo Hasan.

- Donovan Sheffield had a nice pass break-up against Chris Pierce on an 8-yard out route toward the sideline.

- In terms of the younger defensive backs, Randall Haynie and Tae Daley got a lot of action tonight and were usually on the field at the same time from what I saw. They rotated in with both the first team and second team defense. I also saw Frank Coppett and Elijah Hamilton get a good share of reps tonight as well.

- Overall, I'd give the win to the defense tonight. They did a good job of stopping the run overall and fared well on pass defense. It seemed Vandy's offense was working mostly on short routes throughout the evening. There wasn't a lot of passes thrown over 10 yards in the air.

- Obviously Shurmur got a large bulk of the reps, but Mo Hasan got a good amount of reps as well over Allan Walters. Both Hasan and Walters seem to be very good runners, each took off once when the pocket was collapsing and displayed good speed.

- CJ Bolar, Donaven Tennyson, Camron Johnson, Kalija Lipscomb, and Trey Ellis were fielding punts during special teams drills.

- Non participants donning the red jerseys included Jordan Griffin, Salua Masina, Andre Mintze, BJ Anderson, James Bostic, and Kenny Hebert.

That's all I got tonight boys and girls. From the Vanderbilt bookstore Starbuck's, I'm signing out and heading back to Bowling Green....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News