ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thursday coaching search update

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
As I've said all along, I think the selection was likely coming from a group of Jamey Chadwell, Will Healy and Clark Lea.

However, some things have changed around the climate of the job.

As coaches are digging in on the job--which looks attractive from the outside--they are being told to stay away. I was told directly--this is not me reading between the lines, but what I have been told directly by someone I've know a long time and is really well connected to agents and coaches--is that Saturday's kicking situation changed the perception of the job. "This stunt with the girl has hurt them," was the exact quote I got.

Specifically, I think it will hurt (if not kill) them with Chadwell and Lea. Both have people in their ears telling them not to take the job because it will kill their careers. And frankly, both are going to have options down the road. Vanderbilt might be able to rectify this with Lea given his connections to the school and to Corbin, but that's entirely me speculating there.

I would say Will Healy is now the favorite. Healy is young and doesn't quite have the résumé of the other guys and in spite of this still wants the job.

This has also not killed Jeff Fisher's interest in the job and at this point I expect him to get an interview.

As I reported last night, USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell is also very interested in finding out more about the job.

One more thing: I have said that I've heard that Vanderbilt might announce facilities soon. After talking around with several people, I do not think it's going to be before or when it names a coach. So if that's true, that adds another layer of complication to the situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News