ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Ole Miss game

FlyDore03

Commodore
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2014
- Some guys gave soild efforts today. Nice to see Ralph get going, much more decisive in his cuts and got going north-south faster. Bruno did good work; I had to rewind and watch his block on Webb's TD a couple times. Sam Dobbs is a guy who consistently makes the most of his playing time(I wish he'd get more), strong hands on that 3rd down catch. Hard to pick a player of the game on defense, but JJW played a relatively solid game. I also thought Griffin played ok all things considered (and made a case for starting after the bye).

- Bama and UGA were hard to watch, but this game was by far the worst. Frustrating that VU was trading punches with OM up until that blown zone coverage for the long OM TD, and then it just rolled downhill in a hurry.

- This might be the first time all year that any offensive struggles can be pinned on the staff's in-game (lack of) adjustments. Pretty clear the OTs weren't going to be able to handle the edge rush (and it's no knock on them, they competed hard, Skule's a RT playing LT, and Cochran's a freshman playing his 7th game. Remember Will Holden in 2013?). But there just seemed little in the way of trying to get the ball out of Shurmur's hands quicker. OM was leaving the flat/wheel routes open all day it seemed, not one attempt I can remember out there.

- Defense, on the other hand, was almost all execution. Look, you're likely going to give up some big plays against OM. They're going to get you on an RPO here and there. And they're more likely that not going to beat you down the sideline with a 6'4 receiver once or twice. But giving up 200+ yards on the ground to those guys? And when they were running basic zone reads with a counter sprinkled in here and there? Man.

- We can talk about 3-4 vs. 4-3, the hangover after the gauntlet of Bama/UF/UGA, whatever, but it doesn't matter. When guys keep going to their knees after initial contact; when edge players are taking themselves out of plays or not squeezing gaps, and safeties are not playing disciplined in man; and ILBs still are not fitting their gaps, late to scrape, and ending up like ducks in November for the opposing OL, that's just lack of execution. I don't think there is a any single thing responsible for it, but they have two weeks to get it fixed or Carolina is going to make it another long day.

- There was a cut to the sideline that showed Mason talking to the ILB group (late in the 1st half, I think). Not good optics, at least IMHO.

- VU isn't getting some PI calls. But anyone else a little weary of VU's receivers visibly gesturing to the refs almost anytime there is contact? (Although Scott's toss of his towel got a chuckle out of me).

- The bye week is sorely needed, especially for this defense. The starting DBs are worn down and can get some rest. They can work out a bit more of a consistent rotation for the DL (Birch looked ok at the nose today, I thought). And they have to figure out something at LB (both ILB and OLB). The defense has been in an interia the past four weeks, which happens midseason sometimes when you're getting beat but without time or confidence to make more than small adjustments. It's an opportunity to get unstuck and make some changes going forward. Mason can do it on the chalkboard, the question is whether the personnel is there this year to execute it.

- Everyone is glass-half empty tonight, and that's ok. But the good thing going forward is every team left on the schedule has some serious deficiencies somewhere; 3 out of 5 is still well within reach (and 6-6 is where many had this team). This is a team right now that is sorely out of equilibrium right now, but an opportunity for VU to self-scout, adjust, and find its pride could get things back on track. Big challenge for Mason as HC. Hoping he gets the ship righted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News