ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball This Team

MemorialMagic

Captain
Sep 26, 2001
I have not been worried about this team until tonight, but what I saw tonight (only other game I saw in person was Belmont) has caused me to be concerned, and it's a bit hard to pinpoint, but we have a few things going on:
  1. We play with very little sense of urgency, or maybe the better word is with no sense of purpose. What I saw in MTSU was a team that knew exactly what they wanted to do on offense and they came down and forced its will upon us, and they did it with great effort and exertion. They were similar on defense. What I see on our team is a team that is far too reactive and passive.
  2. The game is just not coming easy to our guys. Basketball is a game where you have to make split second decisions to take advantage of opportunities. We're hesitating on almost everything - shots, passes to open men, making the right read and getting to the right spot on defense.
  3. Bryce can talk about how hard we're playing all he wants, but it's just not true we've got guys who are taking plays off on both offense and defense. I see teams that are flat trying harder than we are more consistently. You can't tell me that the game turns out the same if we played defense the rest of the game like we did on that possession when dude got that prayer 3.
  4. Confidence is really hurting. The slightest bit of adversity, particular in the last 10 minutes of a game and you can just see the look of our guys change. Shoulders slump and heads droop just a bit. Very little belief in themselves.
Now there are plenty of technical and fundamental things that we're not doing as well as we could or that we did last year. That's for sure. But for me what is most concerning is the feel/vibe that I'm getting from them. I know they care... way more than I do I'm sure. But the vibe they're putting off is almost like they don't. Not all of them, but a few of them. Something just seems off. I can't put my finger on it. I have some theories that I'll keep to myself, but they need to figure something out soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News