ADVERTISEMENT

The last time I went to a UT (TEXAS) game.

JOSEPH WHEELER

Lieutenant
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2018
The Cosmos
Do any of you remember Mr. Peabody and Sherman? These cartoon characters had an invention they called the "Way Back Machine". This morning I was just reminiscing about the last time I went to a University Of Texas football game, and I sort of entered my own imaginary Way Back Machine. It was autumn in the early '70s. I was still a fresh faced Vanderbilt grad and enrolled in the UT Graduate School Of Engineering. Austin was a blast back then. Willie Nelson and Jerry Jeff Walker were still only a local celebrities and we could see them play in the bars and small clubs with no cover charge. The "Armadillo World Headquarters" was swinging with all sorts of music and Lone Star and Pearl beer by the pitcher. Oat Willies catered to the head shop customers. Everyone listened to KOKE-FM.

So after never missing a single VU football game for 4 years of college, I decided I wanted to go to the 1st game of the season in Austin. Back then UT had a student body exceeding 40,000 and only limited seats for students. After several years of begging VU students to attend games, I was not prepared for the things I went through just to get into Memorial Stadium (now known as Darrell Royal Stadium). At VU students just flashed a valid student ID card at the student gate and walked in. At UT Austin back in those days students had to gather, stand in line, and wait hours on the Monday morning before a weekend game to get a ticket. It meant cutting all my Monday morning grad school classes (not the best decision for a engineering student).

So I got my ticket and I joined the largest crowd I had ever been a part of up until that point in my life. That Saturday afternoon I had no real allegiance or loyalty to the Longhorns. I really did not like the old SWC conference either. I was just curious. I knew that the Texas fans were considered fanatics and bordered on religious zealots. I wasn't wrong. That day a star was born. I got to see Earl Campbell (the Tyler Rose) explode on the college football scene. The rest is history.

Well that's my story of the one and only time I attended a UT AUSTIN football game. I for one "sort of" welcome them into the SEC. They may be our conference's best chance for another Natty this year.

HOOK 'EM HORNS; just NOT next week !!!!!!!
ANCHOR DOWN !!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.