ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Stackhouse on 104.5 WUZone

brokris849

Admiral
Apr 3, 2011
Summary, I certainly can’t quote but hit highlights:

Media blitz:
- Crazy busy but he’s been through media days at all levels before and expected it
- Stayed up to watch title game and really believed the failure to cover the three point shooter turned the tide of the Texas Tech fate. He said he would have given up the layup uncontested and made them foul.

Style of play:
- Defensive based. We want to be the team that runs and dunks but more importantly we want to be the team that shuts the opponent down and look what got teams to the title game
- Asked to compare Texas Tech and Virginia and said we will play more like TT which packs in the middle and let’s nothing inside and forces you to take bad shots. He said Virginia plays a straight up and straight line defense and that’s not his style.
- Said he’s evaluated players at all levels and sometimes was disappointed when (he joked) kids came to him from college a little fatter and out of shape. Said he believes in discipline and being prepared and in shape.
- “Five stars and one and dones may not be our style.” We are going to develop players.
- Kids will major in whatever their academic field is “but I told ADMT they are all going to minor in basketball because they are going to learn the game.”

He talked about his experiences as a college player and pro player and how that relates to recruiting. He said he rarely runs into a family that doesn’t know and respect his track record - “if the kids don’t know who I am then I am their parents age and they certainly do.”

Said he probably has an insight and personal connection to more of these recruits and their families and coaches through the AAU and private development side than people give him credit for.

Turner didn’t speak much but addressed coach’s resume and why he selected him and echoed the commitment of the university to facility upgrades and off the court stuff.

Finally, asked if he can still dunk but said “I can still throw it down but only on Wednesday’s and Saturday’s” cause he’s getting old.

Good interview overall. Very positive and candid.

I hope 104.5 will have a podcast audio up later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News