ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Recruiting Stackhouse and current commits

David Sisk

Lieutenant
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2015
I don't have full details on everything yet, and when I do I will submit a story. But I'm sure most of you are like me and very curious if not anxious about how recruiting gets off the ground in the Jerry Stackhouse era. I have spoken with Scotty Pippen Jr. and have texted back and forth with Dylan Disu. I have information on the first and I am waiting to hear from the second, but I wanted to go ahead and share what I do have.

Coach Stackhouse has called Pippen Jr. and his parents. Scotty told me that things are just in the introductory stages. He said the coach admitted to him that he hasn't even gotten to watch him play yet, so both parties are basically getting to know each other.

Pippen Jr. added that he was supposed to sign on April 17, but he is going to put it off. "I'm waiting on him," were the words that the point guard said to me. Stackhouse spoke to the mother on Wednesday morning. Scotty Jr. also told me that the family knew Stackhouse from their NBA days.

I'm waiting to hear from Dylan Disu. He has a job and works later hours on some nights, so I expect to talk to him soon.

I have been told by a source that both players are receptive to Stackhouse and that he expected things to go well. Each young man told me they love what Vanderbilt has to offer on and off the floor, and are intrigued by the complete Vanderbilt experience. The ball could very well be in Coach Stackhouse's court as he tries to decipher whether these recruits are what he is looking for.

It doesn't appear that Vanderbilt will be in the hunt for Austin Crowley. The wing who is originally from Mississippi but plays for Sunrise Christian in Kansas de-committed from Vandy shortly after Bryce Drew was fired.

A source close to his recruitment told us that he was contacted "by a ton" of schools. The same person told us that he narrowing down his list, and has one visit set up right now which is to Ole Miss. Even though he has heard out each coaching staff, the popular thought he that the Mississippi product will commit to the Rebels.

I am in the initial stages of gathering information. I wanted to give the kids enough time after the Stackhouse hire to process everything and started tonight with several phone calls and texts which have gone non-stop for the past two hours. I expect to hear a lot more in the coming days and will give you everything I get as soon as I get it.

As I said, hopefully my next conversation will be with Disu.

Stackhouse is just getting acclimated so I don't think there is much to report right now. I do know that one of Bryce Drew's staff has informed him of the recruits in the 2020 Class that they had put an emphasis on. I've spoken with just about every one of these kids at one time or another so my next move will probably be to start checking with them to see if Stackhouse has called.

Reactions: cmoore83
Scotty Pippen was kinda chill for a superstar. Wonder what he (really) thinks of Stackhouse--both as a person and as a coach for his son?

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyDore
Yea big lost. Being that I went to Ole Miss and they are my second team, I hope that is where he ends up. If not, selfishly I hope he is a not so good college player.

I don't have full details on everything yet, and when I do I will submit a story. But I'm sure most of you are like me and very curious if not anxious about how recruiting gets off the ground in the Jerry Stackhouse era. I have spoken with Scotty Pippen Jr. and have texted back and forth with Dylan Disu. I have information on the first and I am waiting to hear from the second, but I wanted to go ahead and share what I do have.

Coach Stackhouse has called Pippen Jr. and his parents. Scotty told me that things are just in the introductory stages. He said the coach admitted to him that he hasn't even gotten to watch him play yet, so both parties are basically getting to know each other.

Pippen Jr. added that he was supposed to sign on April 17, but he is going to put it off. "I'm waiting on him," were the words that the point guard said to me. Stackhouse spoke to the mother on Wednesday morning. Scotty Jr. also told me that the family knew Stackhouse from their NBA days.

I'm waiting to hear from Dylan Disu. He has a job and works later hours on some nights, so I expect to talk to him soon.

I have been told by a source that both players are receptive to Stackhouse and that he expected things to go well. Each young man told me they love what Vanderbilt has to offer on and off the floor, and are intrigued by the complete Vanderbilt experience. The ball could very well be in Coach Stackhouse's court as he tries to decipher whether these recruits are what he is looking for.

It doesn't appear that Vanderbilt will be in the hunt for Austin Crowley. The wing who is originally from Mississippi but plays for Sunrise Christian in Kansas de-committed from Vandy shortly after Bryce Drew was fired.

A source close to his recruitment told us that he was contacted "by a ton" of schools. The same person told us that he narrowing down his list, and has one visit set up right now which is to Ole Miss. Even though he has heard out each coaching staff, the popular thought he that the Mississippi product will commit to the Rebels.

I am in the initial stages of gathering information. I wanted to give the kids enough time after the Stackhouse hire to process everything and started tonight with several phone calls and texts which have gone non-stop for the past two hours. I expect to hear a lot more in the coming days and will give you everything I get as soon as I get it.

As I said, hopefully my next conversation will be with Disu.

Great work. Thanks for keeping us posted. Very intrigued as to what happens with this class.

I wonder if Crowley was getting cold feet after last season’s disaster & firing gave him an “out” to get out of his LOI, or if this had more to do with his relationship with Drew/staff.

May never know, but it seems odd that he wouldn’t at least see who the new coach was before making a decision.

I’m sure Crowley will be an All American in two years. Sucks to lose him.
My money's on 25+ ppg against Vanderbilt and <10 ppg against the rest of the SEC.
I simply don’t understand not pursuing Crowley! This seems very petty on the part of Jerry Stackhouse.

I hope Jerry isn’t so in love with himself and thinks all he has to do is say hi I’m Jerry Stackhouse the former NBA Star and NC All American expecting the parents /players are going to fawn all over him and sign ASAP... he must sell Vandy on more than he “was a star player” because kids are smarter than that and want to know what you are doing for them.

I don’t have any reason to believe otherwise but it is always a fear and I have continued to seemingly hear Jerry talk / focus more about himself as the player in efforts to convince people this was a good hire and hope Turner lets him know that we are onboard to give him the reigns, so now he can focus on Jerry, The Vandy Coach.

When Jerry is doing these interviews he’s not the one asking the questions. The reporters are the ones asking him about his previous experiences.

I simply don’t understand not pursuing Crowley! This seems very petty on the part of Jerry Stackhouse.

I hope Jerry isn’t so in love with himself and thinks all he has to do is say hi I’m Jerry Stackhouse the former NBA Star and NC All American expecting the parents /players are going to fawn all over him and sign ASAP... he must sell Vandy on more than he “was a star player” because kids are smarter than that and want to know what you are doing for them.

I don’t have any reason to believe otherwise but it is always a fear and I have continued to seemingly hear Jerry talk / focus more about himself as the player in efforts to convince people this was a good hire and hope Turner lets him know that we are onboard to give him the reigns, so now he can focus on Jerry, The Vandy Coach.

Different perspective/filter I guess. My understanding of the Crowley situation is not that CJS isn't pursuing Crowley - has someone said that? - but that Crowley was the one who quickly pursued options with MN and Ole Miss, etc. as soon as CBD got fired. I heard CJS say he's spoken to a few high school recruits and a possible transfer already - not sure if the HS recruits include Crowley or not, or if Crowley has made it clear he's no longer interested in being a Commodore. He could have similar feelings as you about the firing and it left a bad taste in his mouth about Vandy and not open to even the new coach - that wouldn't be all that surprising if he likes other options.

I have heard his comments, talking up himself, but they all seem to be in response to the "you don't have college coaching experience - what do you say to that?" question. On recruiting, he has said he thinks he can get into homes to make his pitch b/c of who he is, but I never got the sense he thinks signing a class is going to be a breeze -- he has made point several times that we have a small pool to choose from and the sales pitch is about the quality education, conference, coaching and city.

Reactions: NashvilleJay

My read from David's story is that Crowley just would not be receptive because he was being courted by all of these other schools now. I didn't see anything that said Stackhouse had not decided to recruit him, but that is just my take on David's write up.

Reactions: dkh97 and MBADore

Totally logical take.

There you go again. On and on and on with a negative slant on EVERYTHING.

Crowley backed out because drew left. Very common in coaching change
Crowley got courted by some other teams once he backed out of his LOI.
This doesn’t seem uncommon at all and when you commit to one thing and it ends up being something completely different, I can understand wanting to start over

Hope he goes where he wants to go. If it’s vandy great, if it’s not then so be it.

Funny to me that a kid chooses a school and then when the coach leaves all of a sudden the school doesn't even make his short list. It's like Vanderbilt was never an option. 18 year olds are funny

Funny to me that a kid chooses a school and then when the coach leaves all of a sudden the school doesn't even make his short list. It's like Vanderbilt was never an option. 18 year olds are funny
His other 2 finalists went to the tourney and we eeked out how many conference wins?

Reactions: PhilipVU94
Meanwhile, LSU has five players declared for the NBA draft and much of that speculation is that many of them not only want to test the waters but also not play for another coach.

This four and five star hype isn’t about schools any more. It’s coach and pro prospect potential more than the uniform.

I trust that Coach Stack is going to build a better system and recruit a different way.

Meanwhile, LSU has five players declared for the NBA draft and much of that speculation is that many of them not only want to test the waters but also not play for another coach.

This four and five star hype isn’t about schools any more. It’s coach and pro prospect potential more than the uniform.

I trust that Coach Stack is going to build a better system and recruit a different way.
Also they probably don’t want to be on a team banned from post season play.

Reactions: PhilipVU94
Odd that he tweeted full support when season ended then goes dark when Drew is dismissed. I can see not sticking after the coaching change, but to not even wait till the new hire is announced?

Also they probably don’t want to be on a team banned from post season play.

Just maybe they also accepted “great offers” to play for LSU and see handwritten notes on wall :)

Reactions: SoFLVU
He didn’t switch when he knew that to be the case
I’d never be able to prove it, but my guess is Crowley asked to be released from his LOI because that’s what Kermit asked him to do....in February..

Anyone could see the wheels were coming off in February. I have no doubt the buzzard coaches saw this coming & planted the seed early.

I wonder if Crowley was getting cold feet after last season’s disaster & firing gave him an “out” to get out of his LOI, or if this had more to do with his relationship with Drew/staff.

May never know, but it seems odd that he wouldn’t at least see who the new coach was before making a decision.
There's no doubt. Here's a kid who committed and then watched the disaster unfold with friends and family. And it was as (if not more) aggravating than a typical fan on this board. A horrible experience for an 18 year old commit. Took the easy and most convenient way out.

Last edited:
Reactions: MizM
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT