ADVERTISEMENT

Football Something I have been wondering

gvr5804

Lieutenant, junior grade
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2018
I know this may be contentious, but I hope you hear me out. I am a sidewalk fan for Vanderbilt. I went to college in the North East where basketball and the NFL are the only sports. College football is not really the big thing. My wife did go to Vanderbilt. We moved up to Nashville about 13 years ago and have had season tickets to football and basketball since then. The games are easy to go to, the fans are generally polite, the games are competitive, and reasonably priced.

I have enjoyed the times I have watched the games. I liked Bobbie Johnson’s leadership, Franklin’s wins and salesmanship, and Mason’s growth and sincerity.

I think in the next two years, unless there is significant change, there will be a coaching change for football.

I did some research and one thing that I have found is in 2018 Vanderbilt was tied for 4th for all sports student athlete graduation rate; 4th for Male student athlete; 3rd for Female student athlete; 1st for Black student athlete; and 4th for football student athletes.

I know it depends on what site you look at and where the information comes from but I think we can all agree that Vanderbilt has a higher than average graduation rate for their teams.

The worry I have with a new coach is that I would rather have 5 or 6 wins per season and keep those graduation rates then I would winning 10 or 12 with a team that can’t graduate or that get in trouble for things that they should not be doing.

I know people will say “well there was a good graduation rate when Franklin was here.” However, not many of his players stayed to graduate once he left so we really do not know what that would look like.

Also, I would do ANYTHING to not have another “incident” like we had before. That is the only time I was embarrassed to be a Vanderbilt fan.

I think we may need a coaching change. I would not mind a new offense. I, personally, would rather have a variation on the option offense then some other types but that is my opinion. One reason I probably feel this way is based on what I said above and I think option offenses level the playing fields slightly when it comes to offensive skills.

So my question is: If things change, what are you willing to give up to have a 10 or 12 win team?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News