ADVERTISEMENT

Some Stats that will give reason to having a new coach (maybe)

Bighornsheep

Admiral
Gold Member
Apr 15, 2004
Like some have said, I've read thread after thread of reasons to get rid of CKS, and for the most part most of them aren't really reasons, or very poor reasons.

I've mentioned I've never liked to see someone get fired, especially when I feel for the most part they do a lot of things right, which I feel CKS does. I like his no nonsense approach, I think most feel he's completely above board in following the rules, he's not a self promoter (its about the program, not him), his kids graduate, etc.

But, I'm just tired of the excuses. Just like the one he used yesterday about TN having an advantage playing the game before. Well, VU's last 3 SEC tourneys have ended as follows:

1. This yr - 0-1, 5th seed vs 12th seed (TN played day before) We all know the stats here, TN way outmanned

2. 2015 - 0-1, VU 7th seed, TN 10th seed, both teams first game, lost 67-61 (TN was 7-11 in conference, VU 9-9, TN lost next game by 8 to AR, the 2 seed)

3. 2014 - 0-1, VU 11th Seed, MSU 14th seed, both teams first game lost 82-68 (MSU btw was 3-15 in conference, 14-19 overall, MSU lost next game by 12 to Ole Miss, the 6th seed)

So 3 straight first game exits in the SEC tourney, all as significant favorites. Overall record last 9 yrs in SEC tourney is 9-8.

Almost for sure is going to be 4 straight yrs without an NCAA appearance

From 2008 through 2016, it appears VU will have made 4 NCCA trips (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012), with a total of 1 NCAA victory. And, only the rnd of 32 defeat was when VU was an underdog. So, record as a favorite in the NCAA tourney in the last 9 yrs is 1-3, record as underdog 0-1.

To summarize the bad:

Current streak of 4 straight yrs missing the tourney
4 NCAA trips in 9 yrs; 1-4 record in those trips, 3 of the losses as a favorite
3 first round exits in SEC tourney in a row, all 3 as favorites
Overall 9-8 record in SEC tourney last 9 yrs (avg 1 win a yr)
No SEC regular season titles or even co championship, one yr finished with the 2nd overall record, two or 3 3rds I believe.

To be fair, though, lets look at what may be positives:

Overall SEC regular season record last 9 yrs: 84-68
1 SEC tourney championship (first one in 50+ yrs, and beat the eventual national champions to do it)
a 4 seed twice, and a 5 seed twice in the NCAA tourney (in other words, VU was thought of as one of the best 20 teams twice going into the tourney, and one of the best 16 teams twice)
2 first rnd NBA draft picks, 1 first pick of 2nd rnd, possibly 2 or 3 more on the way (last first rnd pick out of VU was Will Perdue, in 1998 or 99)

And I'm sure some may asked why I started with 2008, no real reason, other than I believe 2007 was a high in terms of post season (a walk away from an elite 8), which got CKS a lot of leeway going forward, so if that was the high yr (though, they did go 0-1 in the SEC tourney that yr, too, losing as a favorite to AR, basically paving AR's way to the NCAA tourney), eventually that runs out in terms of job security.

Again, I think CKS does a lot of good, and I want or want him to succeed. And, sadly it is a result driven business, though I believe you also need to look at the processes in place to try to predict future results, not just base decision on current or past results as I'm a believer in if you do things the right way, success will come. But, at some point you might just have to look and say, it seems you are doing everything right (if you believe that), but its just not working out.

I'm just ready to feel good about hoops again, I thought this would be the yr, but other than a nice run at Memorial this yr (the only 2 home losses were without Luke Kornet, and we got to see 8 straight SEC home wins, all but two by double digits, so it was fun), it hasn't turned out that way. And, it seems to be trending down for the most part since that 2007 postseason run (and I guess the stats above could change, if large emphasis are put on Ken Pom, BPI, Sagarin, and SoS, but it hasn't been before).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News