ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Some quick post-Radford notes

David Sisk

Lieutenant
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2015
Just a couple of quick hitters.....

There have been some questions about Ejike Obinna's lack of playing last night. I've heard it was a coach's decision. Keep in mind he is still 17 years old, and is the learning curve is a steep one right now. I think you will also see a combination of Saben Lee, Larry Austin, and Maxwell Evans get fewer minutes.

Bryce Drew is looking to shorten his bench. The bottom line is that it is impossible to play ten guys or more. Payton Willis' return from a wrist injury is a big key at this point, as the staff is looking to get him more minutes and to build his confidence. The Radford game was in fact an opportunity to play less players longer minutes, and to try and get them some continuity.

It is apparent that Vanderbilt is missing Luke Kornet on both ends of the floor. Not only was he a rim protector, but the offense went through him as well. Matthew Fisher-Davis could be that type of guy, but he needs to be more than a catch-and-shoot player. He has to be the guy who understands he is the number one option, and have an appropriate mentality.

The lineup will look more like Willis, LaChance, Fisher-Davis, Toye, Roberson, Brown, and Baptiste. Expect Brown and Roberson to maybe slide into the backup role at the five, and Toye may even get some time at the four.

Here is the problem. This is the best offensive lineup, but not the best defensive group. This is where having a 7-foot-1 big man on the back end was huge in cleaning things up. Drew could go to a quicker lineup, but it would have major deficiencies offensively.

This doesn't mean that the three freshmen and Austin are relegated to the bench. It is to my understanding that Drew told them there are minutes to be had, they just need to continue to work hard, and earn them.

But make no mistake, there are question marks with this team, and just like last season, the staff is trying to put this jigsaw puzzle together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News