ADVERTISEMENT

Off topic Should Vandy athletics donors look outside of NCC?

VandyFitz

Admiral
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2010
I noticed this bit of the Sparks' Tennessean article:

"That also makes Vanderbilt athletics fundraising unique in the SEC. Among the other 13 member schools, eight have their athletics fundraising under the athletics department, and five others raise funds through an athletics-specific nonprofit foundation."

I remember hearing this about Stanford's fundraising, that big donors gave to a charity outside of the university structure that gives solely to University athletics. The purpose being that fans can give money that they're certain will be used for the intended purpose; to benefit athletics facilities for the enjoyment of the athletes and the fans. Has there ever been such a charity for Vandy athletics or has one ever been proposed? I would imagine the fact that some of the biggest Vandy donors (that we know of) have served on the BOT throws a wet blanket on the idea. But wouldn't it be great to see a fan who's chairman of such a foundation tell Nick & David "here's $35 million that can be used for construction of a north end zone building with club deck, recruiting center and player lounge." After Zeppos replies the chairman/fan would respond, "no you may not use our money to endow scholarships. Take it or leave it."

This is admittedly easy to propose for a fan like me whose lifetime donations total in the low single digit thousands rather than millions, but I'd make efforts to give a lot more to an organization in which I can be confident in where the money goes than in the NCC (if that's even an entity anymore).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News