ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball SECT, Semifinals Saturday

VandyJunior2

Admiral
Gold Member
Feb 13, 2019
Nashville, Tennessee
Two undefeated teams, 2 once-defeated teams, and only 2 advance to the finals on Sunday because today we are back to single elimination.

Game 1 pits #7 Ole Miss vs. #3 Georgia.
Ole Miss has been impressive in coming back from a loss to Arkansas 5-3 on Wednesday. They've won their games by scores of 2-1, 1-0, and 3-2 so that's some mighty fine pitching. Georgia sailed through their 2 games by scores of 2-0 and 3-1. And they still have their #1 and #2 pitchers left to throw. I'm not sure what OM has left in the pen to use as a starter but they'll need to be really good to best Tony Locey who I expect to start for Georgia. Georgia then has their ace, Emerson Hancock, to use on Sunday.
I don't see OM being able to score enough to win this game even if they do find some good pitching. Georgia won't score much but they don't have to with their pitching.
Update: GA starts Hancock instead, and may also use Locey today.
Georgia beats Ole Miss by a score of 3-1.

Game 2 pits #5 LSU vs. #1 Vanderbilt
LSU whomped State last night 12-2 to avenge their earlier 17 inning loss to them. State looked like they were 1/2 asleep both in the field and at the plate. Pretty embarrassing performance this week from them. LSU used a lot of luck to beat Auburn in Thursday game. Worse off for LSU is that their pitching staff has thrown 680 total pitches this week and they've used every pitcher they've got to do that. Many of them have thrown over 60 pitches, some in multiple appearances. There's no telling who they start but they likely change pitchers frequently, at least until they run out. I see 2 guys that could give them 2-3 innings: Peterson and Costello. Peterson has appeared in 2 games for a total of 4.1 innings and 53 pitches. Costello threw 2 innings yesterday and 22 pitches. So past those 2 guys they'll have some issues.
UPDATE: LSU will start Fontenot who threw 4.1 innings and threw 64 pitches Tuesday night. I wouldn't think he could go more than a few innings.
Vandy will counter with our #2 guy, Kumar Rocker. He's been increasingly getting better with each outing. He should provide a good start against an LSU batting order that is not all that fearsome.
The biggest thing in their favor will be the crowd which will be 90% Tiger fans. The announcers will also be on their side, as always.
Vandy beats LSU 8-3.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News