ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball SEC Tournament, Day 3

VandyJunior2

Admiral
Gold Member
Feb 13, 2019
Nashville, Tennessee
It took 16 innings and over 7 hours but the better seeded team has now won every single game in the tournament so far. I suppose this bodes well for Vandy and Arkansas to make it to the finals but the top 4 teams are so close in ability that you could easily swap them all around and it wouldn't be any different than it is now. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the 4 win the tournament.

Vandy easily handled Auburn but every other game has been close and competitive. I expect the same here on day 3. Every game could be a one-run game potentially.

#7 Ole Miss at #6 Texas A&M
This game is still 0-0 so I can still make a prediction. Both teams throwing a top notch pitcher (#1 guy for A&M, #2 guy for OM) so it's easy to predict a low-scoring affair. Neither team has been an offensive juggernaut of late (A&M never has been for the whole season) but I expect the better seed to win yet again. Even so, Ole Miss stumbles into the NCAAT and there's a 50-50 chance Mike Bianco is not their coach next year.
Texas A&M over Ole Miss is a low-scoring game.
UPDATE: I'm off to a bad start. OM prevails 1-0.

#8 Auburn at #5 LSU
LSU will be tired and has used up a lot of their pitching staff but it won't matter. Auburn is over-matched and not playing all that well. It won't be a blow-out but LSU should win handily. Auburn goes home to await their #3 regional seed to who knows where. One caveat here is that fatigue may be factor working against LSU.
LSU wins over Auburn.
UPDATE: Only LSU can win a game in that manner. At least they made my prediction correct.

#3 Georgia at #2 Arkansas
I expect both teams to throw top notch pitches, Locey for Georgia and Campbell for Arkansas. This will be a tight game without a doubt and runs will come at a premium. Arkansas is much better offensively but good pitching trumps good hitting and I think Locey will bring it home. This will be the first time a higher seeded team wins.
Georgia over Arkansas 3-2.
Well, Georgia is going with their freshmen #3 guy Wilcox. I'm changing my mind here and going with Arkansas to win.
Arkansas over Georgia 4-3.
UPDATE: I should have stuck with my original prediction. Georgia now in the driver's seat with their 2 best pitchers still left to throw on Saturday and Sunday.

#4 Mississippi State at #1 Vanderbilt
For the first time in the tournament both teams will throw their #1 guys, Ethan Small for State and Drake Fellows for Vandy. They faced each other in last year's super regional game 1 and both took a no decision. That was a high-scoring affair but this one won't be. It'll be on the order of 3-2 or 4-3 which is very low-scoring seeing as how these two teams are such offensive powerhouses, top 2 in the league in virtually every offensive statistic. Defense may tell the tale in this one and Vandy plays a tighter game in that department but Ethan Small is just too good to beat this year and Drake seems to always have that one bad inning.
Mississippi State over Vandy.
UPDATE: See how my prediction thing works? I pick the opposite of what I really want and then the anti-jinx takes over. Big win for the Dores.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News