ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Baseball Player of the Year

Chris Lee

Publisher
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
As you guys know, I like to run a lot of advanced stats, and I looked at about the top 30 SEC hitters and ran numbers on all of them... and Dansby Swanson ranked No. 1 in the league as its best hitter, just a fraction of a run ahead of Nick Banks (A&M) and Andrew Beinintendi (Arkansas).

The version I use doesn't adjust for team runs; the one that does gives Swanson credit for producing almost a run per game ahead of this one, which pegged him at 11.85 runs per 27 outs made.

Compared to LSU's Alex Bregman, who I would think might be Swanson's chief competition, Swanson has a big edge compared to Bregman's 9.24 RC/27.

None of this adjust for ballparks and strength of schedule, which I would think would tilt the edge a bit more in Swanson's favor in both cases.

Of course, defense factors in, too... Bregman has made just one error which is huge, and has more putouts (61 vs. 59) and assists (114 vs. 100), though VU has registered about 50 more strikeouts which takes chances away from Swanson.

Swanson's also the more highly-regarded defender and the more athletic player, so that has to factor in somewhere.

Bottom line, I'd probably take Swanson right now, though I totally admit it's a biased opinion because I get to see Dansby several times a week whereas I don't with Bregman.

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.