ADVERTISEMENT

Football Saturday's practice report (8/12)

Billy Derrick

Lieutenant, junior grade
Gold Member
May 28, 2018
Nashville, TN
DNP:
  • Ethan Barr
  • Jalen Gilbert
  • Jameson Wharton
  • Christian James
  • Jeffrey Ugo
  • Quantaves Gaskins
  • BJ Diakite
  • Darren Agu
- Indoors due to inclement weather + lighter practice, due to tomorrow's scrimmage

- Langston Patterson was everywhere

- AJ Newberry continues to stand out when he gets the chance

- I noticed the defensive backs wore boxing gloves during a few drills and decided to ask Coach Lea about it after practice. He said, "They're frustrated by it, but it allows them to use their feet more. It also prevents holding penalties." Feels like this coaching staff is doing everything in their power to improve cornerback play.

- Junior Sherrill keeps showing out - he's going to make an impact this season

- CJ Taylor was back in pads, but was limited today and will not participate in tomorrow's scrimmage. Coach Lea said Thursday that he could begin a ramp-up period as soon as Monday, though.

- Here were the players I saw returning punts: Will Sheppard, Junior Sherrill, Jayden McGowan, and Martel Hight. I asked Coach Lea if he'd rather not have his best receiver returning punts and he said, "Will is sure-handed and explosive. Right now, that's the type of player we need back there." It'll be interesting to monitor how that shifts, if at all, throughout the season.

- Here were the players I saw returning kickoffs: Jayden McGowan, Chase Gillespie, Will Sheppard, Martel Hight, London Humphries, and Sedrick Alexander

- In my opinion, today solidified that Martel Hight is the best cornerback on the team

- Safety De'Rickey Wright looks much improved - had an interception today

- Kickers Brock Taylor + Jacob Borcila looked very good today

- RB Patrick Smith showed really good hands out of the backfield a couple of times

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News