ADVERTISEMENT

Football Saturday scrimmage report

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
I have been taking with or messaging two of my more reliable sources regarding this morning's scrimmage. Here's what I have.

COCHRAN HURT

I learned a moment ago that starting LT Devin Cochran is injured, and while it doesn’t sound season-threatening, I would not be surprised if he misses a couple of games. That’s all I feel comfortable saying.

Cochran is on that really short list of players that they can’t afford to get hurt. It’ll be interesting to see how VU adjusts from here.

QB COMPETITION
Two sources independent from one another gave me a similar account, which was that neither QB Deuce Wallace or QB Riley Neal stood out today. Neither turned it over or played poorly, but it was a day (again, from both accounts) that the defense won.

Neal, from what I’m told, looks good when he has time but struggles against pressure. That could be significant based on what happened with Cochran. One source termed the offensive line play “terrible” today.

Wallace had about a 40-yard TB pass to RB Ke’Shawn Vaughn. Both QBs threw some TDs in red zone drills. TE Jared Pinkney caught one of Neal’s, and WR Kalija Lipscomb caught another, while WR Justice Shelton-Mosley grabbed one from Wallace.

QB Mo Hasan seems to be the third QB ahead of Allan Walters, who’s not had a good fall camp and did not play well today. I was told Hasan had “a nice day” today.

OFF-DAY FOR WIDEOUTS
Lipscomb and WR Chris Pierce both dropped a couple of balls that they should have had today. For Pierce, that’s especially uncharacteristic.

DEFENSE WINS THE DAY
Last Saturday, I was told the defense “was manhandled” in that scrimmage. Today, it won the day, with good performances all around.

I was told the DBs did a good job in coverage and there weren’t a lot of great throwing windows. “Nobody was open today,” a source said.

The defensive line is said to be better. I asked if Cam Tidd and Drew Birchmaier were better than last year, and was told, “absolutely.”

I asked another source who’d stood out in camp so far. The names I got: DL Dayo Odeyingbo, S Tae Daley, DB Allan George and LB Feleti Afemui.

I was told the linebackers “looked good” today, though no player was singled out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News