ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting--Measurables vs Game Performance

VUFan4Life

Lieutenant
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2004
The more I evaluate the new model of what Vandy is looking for in football recruits, the more I am convinced they are putting much more of a premium on "combine" numbers than on-field production. I think that is best evidenced by the DL we picked up yesterday who mainly played JV but has good measurables.

VU is not the only program to do this. Ondre Evans from CPA recently blew up and committed to LSU over Bama, UGA, and others after running a 10.55 100-meter in the state track championships. On the field as a junior, he had 38 tackles, five pass break-ups and two interceptions on defense and caught 18 passes for 221 yards as a wide receiver. Fine stats, but nothing that makes you scream sure-fire, upper-echelon SEC-caliber player. I know a kid in the same district that is a year behind him who put up better stats but didn't have a blazing 100-time to post and his recruitment is not near the same level.

I remember the Titans drafting a running back a few years back and he was an NFL-combine phenom but had "meh" production in college. Turned out to be a bust. I just hope this focus on 40 times, broad jumps, shuttle runs, etc. doesn't turn out to eliminate the players that are "gamers" that have heart, love the game, and often times out-perform the players who have better physical characteristics. I know those things are hard to quantify. It will be interesting to see how this new philosophy plays out!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News