ADVERTISEMENT

Football Random Thoughts on the Season

VandyDoresNed

Sub-lieutenant
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2010
There is no other way to think of this season than as a disappointment. We should have done better, at least gotten to 6 wins even though this year's schedule was definitely more difficult than last year's.

Here are some takeaways (a lot of this is probably master of the obvious)
  • We were exceptionally weak at 2-3 positions that hurt us immensely, magnified by Mason's scheme. We have to have strong ILBs and Oren Burks just isnt that good at that position. He constantly got blown out by blockers (Mizzou game was alarming) and he was terrible in coverage. In short, we really, really missed ZC and how good he was at sucking up tackles. We tried to bulk up Oren, but he is just too slow and small to be an effective ILB in the SEC. I think ZC staying would have led to 2-3 more wins for us this year, he was that big of a difference maker. I see almost no way our ILB play isnt better next year.
  • Our NT play was awful. Nifae rarely got pressure, which again, led us to getting blown off the ball on running plays. Nifae had zero sacks this year. I would label him as the biggest disappointment of the year. similar thoughts on next year at NT. We should be better with Tidd and Rutger.
  • Bruno moving to Center set us back on the line for several games. Once we figured it out, we were much better. I thought we ran the ball much, much better the back half of the year. Bruno definitely took one for the team
  • We were unlucky in scheduling. We got Missouri, Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, and Florida in the worst (or close to worst) possible weeks to play them. if you could flip some of the games, it could have led to 3-4 more wins (Missouri early, Ole Miss without Patterson, UF late in the season, etc). That sounds silly, I know, but we played those teams when they were hot, and the games we won we would have won i think regardless of when they were played (K st being the only question, and they were horrible without ertz during half the season)
  • We also got very unlucky with bounces, i believe we forced something like 9 fumbles, but only recovered 2 of them.
  • This recruiting class is the best we have ever had. I think it is very important to keep Mason (who i think can be a good coach) to keep this class. I also have no interest in fighting ~7 other SEC teams for a coach this offseason. Offers from other schools are more important than stars to me and we have so many players with multiple SEC offers (Orji, Harris, Johnson, Douglas, Walters, Dawkins, Jenkins, Schoenwald, Williams, Bresnehan, Jones, Worship, Smock, Marlow all have multiple SEC offers). That is absolutely unprecedented. There is absolutely not a reach on our commitment list and this is the first time in history we can say that (thus far). this is a class that can change Vandy football for a number of years.
  • The tackling was much, much better the last two games of the year. I dont know what clicked, but it did. I know MIzzou was a blowout, but that game was MUCH closer than the score. it was a flukey night. I think if we play that game 10 times, we win 3. Sounds moronic, but that 2nd quarter totally snowballed and there was a play or two that allowed it to snowball.
Im not saying next year we are going to win a ton more games, but i think we will be better at every single position except for WR. Almost certainly OL, LB, TE, RB, and DL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News