ADVERTISEMENT

Rambling VandyBoys Thoughts

Vandy4534

Midshipman
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2023
Let me preface this by saying I do not think the season is over. While this team is not up to our standards, in the national landscape they are still probably an average SEC team and top 16 team nationally.

Here’s why I remain hopeful for the future. While the lack of power and use of portal are big issues, the clear problem is the disappointing junior and senior classes. Not producing a high number of stars from those classes lowered the ceiling of this team significantly. Holton is the closest thing to a star this team has, and he’s more of a good Saturday pitcher than a Friday night ace. RJ Austin is a nice player, but he’s not on that level either. Also only a sophomore. Sweeps on the road last year against UT and UF and now this tell me these older guys just don’t have it. Maybe I’m wrong, but that tells me there is not enough mental toughness from guys who should be team leaders. The seniors and juniors not having a star who can hit that clutch homer or get that F U strikeout is the biggest problem for me. National championship squads almost always need that Rocker, Leiter, Swanson, or Bleday. These latest recruiting misses haven’t produced those guys. But there’s hope. This freshman class with Holcomb, Ossenfort, and Kozeal shows Corbin knows more power is needed. E MaC, Miller Green, and Seiber look like guys who can bring that much needed fire. There’s a great chance Corbin can take those guys on what last great run.

I think Corbin has shown he is willing to use the portal. Hopefully, this season motivates him to do a little more big game hunting. While we will never be LSU or UT in the portal, I think he’ll use it a little more. The one thing I don’t think he’ll do is fire Baxter. That’s another conversation, but I just don’t see that happening.

Obviously, this whole post hinges on me thinking it’s been more about recruiting misses and not getting guys through the draft. I think that’s the problem more than Brown and Baxter not developing guys, but I’m curious to hear y’all’s thoughts on that.

It’ll be interesting to see how this team rebounds. I have no idea what starting rotation gives them the best chance, but I don’t think Cunningham and Carter are answers there. Futrell needs to recover and look like himself to give us our best shot. It’s also time to play the youth with Kozeal and Holcomb going everyday, and maybe Ossenfort getting some platoon work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News