ADVERTISEMENT

Football Quick update on today's allegations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
1. I've asked Vanderbilt if it cared to comment on the situation just to get that on the record in case it did, and my email hasn't been returned. I don't really care one way or the other and I can understand why it might not but just noting that for the record.

2. I have attempted to get some background from both sides without much success. I'm not going to take a side on anything right now because I just don't have enough info to have an opinion as informed as I'd like. This being a really volatile matter (I don't condone rape or sexual assault but I also don't condone ruining people without proof), I'm probably not going to comment much without anything solid except to say this: Khari Blasingame has always had a sterling reputation from people that I know that know him and it would shock me if he's the guy he's been portrayed as being today.

3. If there is something to this and it goes badly--again, I am not alleging or judging one way or the other because I just don't know--I think this would be more than just a fire-the-coach thing. I think you'd have senior administrators inside the AD, perhaps other places at Vandy, who'd have to go also. It clearly wasn't just a thing where football coaches were involved and nobody else. And again, just to be crystal clear, maybe everyone did mostly as they should and that doesn't need to happen, though at the least, letting Charles Wright hang around the program and go to Pro Day would have been monumentally stupid at that point.

4. And one other small point on that: I don't think you can point the finger at Malcom Turner on this and let him be the scapegoat. Turner was only there a couple of weeks before Pro Day (when Wright participated) was held. At that point he was still getting acclimated to a new town, a new employer and a new position he'd not held before. I guess anything's possible but at that point, if he had a decision to make on the situation, I'd presume he'd lean on others at the school to brief him on the situation and take their recommendations.

5. Maybe it's this way at all colleges, but the whole situation with female managers and trainers and athletes is just kind of ripe for something to go wrong. These are college females who are traveling with the team, staying in the same hotels, near the locker and shower facilities, etc. Again, that's not an excuse for misbehavior in any way, shape or form, but a source of mine mentioned that as a significant issue when we were talking about this particular subject.

I doubt that I can say much more of significance for now than this, but if you have questions then I'll answer them as best I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News