ADVERTISEMENT

Football Quick OC search update, with guess on implications

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
Just talked to a source connected to the coaching community. The perception is that Fitch is the guy.

Evidently, Vanderbilt offered a two-year deal and Fitch allegedly wanted three. I'm not sure where that settled.

As far as Fitch, he's respected within the coaching community. "Smart" was the word given to me when I asked to sum up how Fitch is perceived.

Now, for the next part.

The length of tenure begs some questions about the length of Mason's tenure. Here is what I'm gathering.

1. At face value, I'm not sure how much that would affect getting rid of a staff. The buyout for coordinators often isn't the full value of the contract. So (in source's words), "it' might just cost VU $400-600,000 to move on (from Fitch) after next year," which is peanuts as far as these things go.

2. The perception in the coaching community is that Mason isn't safe and needs to have a good 2020 season. The perception is also that VU had been "overly fair" with Mason and that VU should have moved on from him already.

3. That said, I'm way, way, way less than convinced that VU will move on, even if 2020 doesn't go well. There is still an internal narrative at VU that they want to see what he can do after fixing internal issues and giving him better support. I don't know what that means, or how much that's maybe what you say when you have a coach too expensive to fire or its something to take 100 percent at face value, but it came from pretty high up the food chain, so take it FWIW.

I'll pass on more as I get it. I'm still not comfortable with saying any more about the DC hire, and it's deadly silent on that front within coaching circles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News