ADVERTISEMENT

Question about VandyUnited construction.

JOSEPH WHEELER

Lieutenant
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2018
The Cosmos
Before we all get tuned in for the "Battle Of The Barrel" with Louisville this afternoon, I've been watching the VandyUnited live cams.

Hey guys, as many of you know I am a retired engineer with a couple of degrees (including my Vanderbilt degree). I worked my entire career for TVA Nuclear in the construction, modification, and operation of the country's largest nuclear power plants. During my years of work in construction I watched huge projects rise from holes in the ground to hundreds of feet in the air. So with that in mind I have had a keen interest in watching the "live cam" videos of the VandyUnited construction projects.

So here's what I have a question about. When I worked construction we erected structural steel and reinforced concrete walls and floors. We built things to last. However, I retired more than 20 years ago; and I am not familiar with the construction methods and materials being used these days. It just appears to me that the walls of the buildings in the north end zone are being built with light weight materials that may not be intended to last very long. What is that Weyerhaeuser wood composite material being used for the exterior walls? What is that blue fabric or plastic sheeting material overlaying the Weyerhaeuser stuff? Will these materials simply be painted over with black paint? So will someone with more recent history than myself fill me in on the new stuff? Is this just another example of the cheap half-assed construction going on all over Nashville? I don't think I saw any of these materials being used in the recent construction of any of the new residence halls, engineering building, towers, or hospital construction at Vanderbilt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News