ADVERTISEMENT

Football Practice thoughts from today

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
I was there for two hours this morning and again, given certain restrictions, I'm limited in what I can report. But a few items of interest today. Sorry I'm just now posting this, I've had stuff going on all day and am just now finding time.

- Surprise! Guess who was at practice today? De'Rickey Wright may be in the transfer portal but he was on hand to watch (not practice with, but watch) his teammates today and I'm told he's been hanging around quite a bit. Clark Lea was not available afterwards for media, however, so I have no idea if this means anything at all. I did notice several teammates came over to enthusiastically greet him and shake hands as soon as they saw him arrive.
- Guys who made some big plays today included DBs Jaylen Mahoney and Justin Harris.
- I watched the safeties do some drills that tested their quick-area movement, ability to move their hips and ability to make interceptions and one guy who definitely stands out is Marlen Sewell. I think Sewell fits at the hybrid DB/LB spot or one of the safeties and in terms of smoothness and athleticism, I'd say he looks better than anyone they have now or had last year. There's a long way from that to "legit SEC player" but it's something to watch.
- This is projecting a good bit, because they're new and haven't necessarily earned it yet, but I'll be surprised if WR Jayden McGowan and RB Maurice Edwards aren't factors in the offense by season's end, if not sooner.
- Some QBs performed better than others today; let's just say IMO the QB race tightened today though I don't speak for the staff and maybe they'll see it differently.
- Guys who weren't participating today and I would guess are out for the spring, based on looks of things, include DB Tyson Russell and DL Devin Lee. Lee's absence leaves the DL really, really thin since DL Nate Clifton is out for the spring.
- Players who have earned new numbers: WR Logan Kyle (now No. 18), DB Chase Lloyd (15), OL Xavier Delfin-Castillo (64) and OL Gunnar Hansen (55).

Any questions, just ask and I'll answer where I can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News