ADVERTISEMENT

Football Position-by-position thoughts: quarterbacks

Chris Lee

Publisher
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
I've seen my last practice of fall camp due to personal commitments but I think I've seen enough to offer some thoughts.

How I see the depth chart:

1. Diego Pavia
2. Nate Johnson
3. Drew Dickey
4. Blaze Berlowitz
5. Jeremy St. Hilaire
6. Whit Muschamp

Overall thoughts:
I was disappointed in what I saw on the whole. To be clear, it wasn't all on the quarterbacks. Sometimes they didn't have a lot of time to throw and it's also not as if they had Randy Moss and Jerry Rice running wide open down the field at much of any time. But accuracy was an issue much of camp and there just wasn't much consistency in being able to sustain drives.
Now, if you're looking for reasons, I can give you others. It's a new system. New head coach of the offense (Jerry Kill), new coordinator (Tim Beck), and a system with tons of moving parts. It's a completely different offense. Pavia got there this summer. he's working with new linemen (who are learning under a new coach there, too). I feel like they rarely showed the same formation more than 2-3 plays in a row--and without being specific (you'll see it yourself in a week and a half) sometimes the looks they showed couldn't be much different from one play to the next. So sure, maybe there are reasons it didn't work great in fall camp and can get better. We'll see soon enough.
I think at this point, they have to roll with Pavia and hope it gets better. Maybe Nate Johnson gets better with time in terms of accuracy, but it's just not been there and it wasn't there at Utah. And I think they can find a spot for him with his legs here and there even if not.
The wild card to me is Drew Dickey. I thought he should have been the 3 leaving camp last year. He looked the best in the scrimmage last Saturday. He's not great at anything but he's solid at a lot of things. If all else fails, does Dickey get a shot? That feels like a long shot but I couldn't help leaving Saturday wondering about it a bit.
I'm sure Joey and Billy can add thoughts here.

Will hit running backs next but it may be this afternoon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.