ADVERTISEMENT

Football Playcalling on Last Series

VUFan4Life

Lieutenant
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2004
Saw several posts about playcalling (2 runs in a row) on last series. A few things:

1) We got the ball with around 3:30ish left in the game so I am sure they wanted to score with as little time on the clock as possible which probably would need to include a couple of run plays.

2) I would assume as a senior QB, Kyle has the green light to change the play at the line of scrimmage if needed. If a run play is called and the defense is aligned to stop it, then Kyle audibles to a pass play and...

3) Blasingame is easily our best pass protector among our RBs. May be a situation where Kyle couldnt audible into a pass play with another RB in because of pass protection.

4) Every series at that point is 4-down territory--we had a 3rd and 4 and Shurmur was on fire. I am certain that neither Ludwig nor Shurmur thought ND could stop us on 2 pass plays in a row. 3rd and 4 is very manageable. I didn't see a replay, but I thought in real time that Lipscomb had a good chance on the 3rd down. I may be wrong. I was more upset about that one.

5) I believe the coaches have stated that Blasingame is the back they trust the most with ball security (that may have been last year but seems like I recall that).

I wasn't crazy about it either, but I think there are some logical reasons why things played out the way they did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News