ADVERTISEMENT

Pitching for Monday

Chris Lee

Publisher
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
I'm looking at Clemson's roster they'll have to piece it together tomorrow. They've basically burned the four guys who started all their games; the only other player who's started has been Paul Campbell, and he's not pitched since March 29.

Ryan Miller and Brooks Crawford have been good relievers for them, but they were questionable coming into the weekend due to health.

Crawford last pitched on May 20. Miller last threw on April 2.

I think Ryley Gilliam will likely be the option. He's got a 1.80 ERA in 35 innings, but hasn't started, and that's come in 26 appearances. 50 Ks, 14 walks. He hasn't thrown more than 4 1/3 this year, but did go between 5 and 6.1 last year three times with varied effectiveness. He's thrown a third of an inning this regional.

Jacob Hennessy is probably another option. 30.2 innings, 37 strikeouts, 11 walks, but again, those came in 26 appearances. He's had outings of 3 2/3 and 4 this year, but they came against Charleston Southern and Western Carolina.

Patrick Andrews threw an inning and a third against VU in the first game. 20.2 IP, 22 Ks, 4 BB, 4.35 ERA.

Alex Schnell (14.1 IP, 9 K, 5 BB) hasn't thrown this series.

Not wonderful options, but teams win games in regionals like this a decent amount of time.

For Vandy, I think it'll be Chandler Day, and hope he can go a long way. Hayes is an option for an inning or two, though I'm not sure how much he can be trusted. Ruppenthal hasn't pitched yet and can obviously go a long way, though I'm not sure how confident you can feel about that, either. I presume King is done.

Anyway, I give a slight advantage to Vanderbilt given it at least has a guy you know is capable of throwing 6-7 good innings, but it's also at Clemson and so who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News